RE: [greenwichcyclists] Recommendations for flying with a bike

  • Millbrook Pete (KCP)
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
      Before acting on this email or opening any attachment you are advised to
      read Infraco Sub-Surface Limited's disclaimer at the end of this e-mail.

      Topeak tools tend to be very good value for money and are relatively
      lightweight. However, I would not use their plastic tyre levers as they
      break easily. I use the old fashioned metal tyre levers.

      As for a bike bag, the only place I have seen them on sale is Decathlon,
      Surrey Quays but I don't know anyone who has bought/used one.

      Pete Millbrook

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
        Bike Park in Covent Garden sell bike bags, I think they hire them too.

        Would be interested to hear about the logistics of your trip. I've been itching to do some more off road. Are you flying to Trieste?

        Karen
      • Liz Delap
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
          I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
          No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take pedals off and
          let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I also
          usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors on bits of the
          frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them. Falling off
          a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?£15 each way. It's in FAQs
          apparantly, but I have never been told when making my bookings.
          Liz
          > Not a frequent member of any rides as of yet but hope to do more in the
          late
          > autumn -
          >
          > anyhow courtesy of ryanair stupidly cheap flights i am returning to
          Slovenia
          > for a few days mountainbiking in the Julian Alps - anyone recommend a
          good
          > bike bag for planes?
          >
          > and do you really have to take back wheel off and pedals?
          > and what is the best lightweight set of tools on the market?
          >
          > Was there last week - superb - completely empty and cheap - got lost at
          > 2000m despite having a GPS but still alive (i guess)
          >
          > Paul Mincher
          > 29 Wolfe Crescent, Charlton,
          > London SE7 8TS, UK

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
            I've travelled with several people this year who'd used RyanAir
            and they did what Liz said, without problems. In addition some
            also picked up a cardboard carton (the kind used to ship bikes
            from the factory) from their local bike shops and used these to
            further protecte their machines. Once at the destination the
            cartons were disposed of and another obtained from a local
            bikeshop for the return journey; either way, you don't have to
            purchase an expensive and bulky padded bike bag.

            There lots of (or too much?) info about travelling with bikes at:
            http://www.BikeAccess.net/default.cfm

            --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., "Liz Delap" <liz.delap@d...> wrote:
            > I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
            > No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take
            pedals off and
            > let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I
            also
            > usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors
            on bits of the
            > frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them.
            Falling off
            > a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?£15 each way.
            It's in FAQs
            > apparantly, but I have never been told when making my
            bookings.
            > Liz

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • minch20022002
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
              --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., KarenPriceUK@a... wrote:
              > Bike Park in Covent Garden sell bike bags, I think they hire them
              too.

              > Would be interested to hear about the logistics of your trip. I've
              been itching to do some more off road. Are you flying to Trieste?

              > Karen

              Dear Karen,

              I flew to Trieste last week (£18 return!) - actually the airport is
              near to Montfalcone & even closer to the Slovenian border and
              certainly easy to cycle - you have to cross in 1 of 2 border posts in
              Gorizia/Nova Goriza which is a bit like old Berlin with the border
              running through the middle of the town. Then a train (timetable
              http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/cgi-bin/router/router.exe?mode=1 ) is to
              Bohinjska Bistrica up the stunning Soca valley. I actually had to
              stay in the former town as the the winter timetable is a bit more
              restricted.

              I actually hired a bike along with some Israelis but when one of the
              saddles fell off i realised the writing was on the wall - would
              recommend walking shoes as well as the mountains are stunning.
            • phcorkill@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                I flew Ryanair to Perpignon in the summer and back from Barcelona with EasyJet.

                For both airlines it was very straightforward, I removed the pedals, let down the tyres and turned the handlbars. Bike was collected from the check in and turned up in one piece both times.

                Ryanair charge and make you sign a disclaimer saying that they have no liability in the event of damage. EasyJet was free, and no disclaimer to sign. With both I booked the bike on in advance, but had to do this over the phone as there was no facility to do it on the internet.

                Fabulous feeling riding away from the airport!

                Peter
              • Ayako Dobson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                  This is prompted by the "recommendations for flying..."

                  I agree with Pete Millbrook about some plastic tyre levers being weak, but I
                  wouldn't use metal ones: you might as well use spoons, (or the lever of your
                  wheel skewer, which someone admitted to on the maintenance course). There is
                  a good plastic lever out there: the blue ones made by Park Tools. These are
                  indestructible. I've used some good Zefal ones, which flexed, and looked
                  like they had to break, but didn't, but the Park ones don't flex at all, and
                  have the feeling of quality. IMHO Park don't make a bad tool, and I would
                  definitely recommend the levers, especially if you have a tight tyre and rim
                  compination.

                  About bike bags, they are de rigeur in Japan. You can't travel on a train
                  without one, but with one, you can go anywhere. Frankly, I don't know why
                  more cyclists don't use them. I suppose it's a case of "We've always doine
                  it like this." I have a bag that will take a bike with just the front wheel
                  removed, but if you take them both off, remove the pedals to save your shins
                  when carrying it, and pack the wheels next to the frame, you have a package
                  which is no larger than a large suitcase. I don't see how any train company
                  can justifiably stop you taking such a package on a train, unless they are
                  also going to stop people with big trolley suitcases, and those returning
                  from IKEA. Tandems, however, are a different matter, which is why we have a
                  folding one.

                  PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap to your
                  dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure your wheels
                  to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you can find:
                  when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an enormous
                  "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get some bags
                  made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is also an
                  incentive to keep your bike clean!

                  Julian Dobson
                • Ayako Dobson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                    on 11/11/02 6:06 pm, Liz Delap at liz.delap@... wrote:

                    > I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
                    > No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take pedals off and
                    > let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I also
                    > usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors on bits of the
                    > frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them. Falling off
                    > a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?15 each way. It's in FAQs
                    > apparantly, but I
                    Hi Liz

                    I've always known about letting the tyres down, but when our tandem arrived
                    from the States by Fed Ex, Bike Friday, the manufacturers, had merrily
                    packed the tyres fully pumped up to 100 psi, and they survived. I've read
                    that a tyre should be able to withstand twice it's rated pressure, and is
                    tested to this amount. Having said that, I burst a mountain bike tyre by
                    overpumping it. I think it depends on the tyre and the rim. The pipe lagging
                    is definitely a good idea, and it's so easy and cheap to fit.

                    Julian Dobson
                  • wander2x
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                      Good idea, what do you recommend using as a carry strap?

                      > PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap
                      to your
                      > dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure
                      your wheels
                      > to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you
                      can find:
                      > when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an
                      enormous
                      > "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get
                      some bags
                      > made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is
                      also an
                      > incentive to keep your bike clean!
                      >
                      > Julian Dobson
                    • Ayako Dobson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                        on 13/11/02 1:05 pm, wander2x at css01fr@... wrote:

                        > Good idea, what do you recommend using as a carry strap?
                        >

                        >> PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap
                        > to your
                        >> dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure
                        > your wheels
                        >> to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you
                        > can find:
                        >> when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an
                        > enormous
                        >> "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get
                        > some bags
                        >> made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is
                        > also an
                        >> incentive to keep your bike clean!
                        >>
                        >> Julian Dobson

                        Outdoor stores sell padded shoulder straps for replacing the ones on bags,
                        and you might be able to take one of a bag you already have. You could get
                        some velcro straps to wrap around the frame, and then clip the shoulder
                        strap to those. You don't even need a strap: if you pack the bag right, you
                        can just put it under your arm (depends on the bike, and your strength, but
                        there again, Bromptons aren't particularly light).

                        Julan
                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                          The Brixton Cycles group does off road trail riding around
                          Dorking most weekends. I've been out on those rides a few
                          times this year and was suprised at how many MTB riders use
                          the trails around Dorking and the number of singletrack trails
                          there were.

                          They're a friendly, welcoming group and have just set up a
                          yahoogroup list like our Greenwich one here, so if anyone wants
                          to go out riding with them just leave an e-mail message there
                          (http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/BrixtonCycles). They usually
                          meet at Clapham Junction station ticket office around 9-9.30 on
                          a Sunday.

                          --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., "minch20022002" <mincher@d...>