Recommendations for flying with a bike

  • Paul Mincher
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
      Dear all,

      Not a frequent member of any rides as of yet but hope to do more in the late
      autumn -

      anyhow courtesy of ryanair stupidly cheap flights i am returning to Slovenia
      for a few days mountainbiking in the Julian Alps - anyone recommend a good
      bike bag for planes?

      and do you really have to take back wheel off and pedals?
      and what is the best lightweight set of tools on the market?

      Was there last week - superb - completely empty and cheap - got lost at
      2000m despite having a GPS but still alive (i guess)

      Paul Mincher
      29 Wolfe Crescent, Charlton,
      London SE7 8TS, UK
    • Millbrook Pete (KCP)
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
        Before acting on this email or opening any attachment you are advised to
        read Infraco Sub-Surface Limited's disclaimer at the end of this e-mail.

        Topeak tools tend to be very good value for money and are relatively
        lightweight. However, I would not use their plastic tyre levers as they
        break easily. I use the old fashioned metal tyre levers.

        As for a bike bag, the only place I have seen them on sale is Decathlon,
        Surrey Quays but I don't know anyone who has bought/used one.

        Pete Millbrook

        Not a frequent member of any rides as of yet but hope to do more in the late
        autumn -

        anyhow courtesy of ryanair stupidly cheap flights i am returning to Slovenia
        for a few days mountainbiking in the Julian Alps - anyone recommend a good
        bike bag for planes?

        and do you really have to take back wheel off and pedals?
        and what is the best lightweight set of tools on the market?

        Was there last week - superb - completely empty and cheap - got lost at
        2000m despite having a GPS but still alive (i guess)

        Paul Mincher
        29 Wolfe Crescent, Charlton,
        London SE7 8TS, UK

        This e-mail and any files or other attachments transmitted with it are
        intended for the above named addressee only and may be confidential.
        They may also be legally privileged. They may be read, copied and
        used only by the intended recipient.
        [If you have received this e-mail in error (a) you must take no action
        based on it, (b) you must not show, copy or forward it to anyone,
        (c) you should reply to this e-mail and highlight the error, and
        (d) you should delete this e-mail at once.]

        The contents of this e-mail do not necessarily represent the views or
        policies of Infraco Sub-Surface Limited and we will not be liable for
        the content of this e-mail or of any files or other attachments transmitted
        with it, nor for any errors or omissions therein.

        Internet communications (including e-mail transmissions) are not
        always secure and we advise that you take this lack of security fully
        into account when e-mailing us.

        Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and any
        attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with
        good computing practice you should ensure that they are
        actually virus free.

        Infraco Sub-Surface Limited may monitor all e-mail communications
        through its internal and external networks.

        [Infraco Sub-Surface Limited
        Registered Office: 55 Broadway, London, SW1H OBD].
      • KarenPriceUK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
          Bike Park in Covent Garden sell bike bags, I think they hire them too.

          Would be interested to hear about the logistics of your trip. I've been itching to do some more off road. Are you flying to Trieste?

          Karen
        • Liz Delap
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
            I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
            No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take pedals off and
            let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I also
            usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors on bits of the
            frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them. Falling off
            a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?£15 each way. It's in FAQs
            apparantly, but I have never been told when making my bookings.
            Liz
            > Not a frequent member of any rides as of yet but hope to do more in the
            late
            > autumn -
            >
            > anyhow courtesy of ryanair stupidly cheap flights i am returning to
            Slovenia
            > for a few days mountainbiking in the Julian Alps - anyone recommend a
            good
            > bike bag for planes?
            >
            > and do you really have to take back wheel off and pedals?
            > and what is the best lightweight set of tools on the market?
            >
            > Was there last week - superb - completely empty and cheap - got lost at
            > 2000m despite having a GPS but still alive (i guess)
            >
            > Paul Mincher
            > 29 Wolfe Crescent, Charlton,
            > London SE7 8TS, UK

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2002
              I've travelled with several people this year who'd used RyanAir
              and they did what Liz said, without problems. In addition some
              also picked up a cardboard carton (the kind used to ship bikes
              from the factory) from their local bike shops and used these to
              further protecte their machines. Once at the destination the
              cartons were disposed of and another obtained from a local
              bikeshop for the return journey; either way, you don't have to
              purchase an expensive and bulky padded bike bag.

              There lots of (or too much?) info about travelling with bikes at:
              http://www.BikeAccess.net/default.cfm

              --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., "Liz Delap" <liz.delap@d...> wrote:
              > I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
              > No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take
              pedals off and
              > let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I
              also
              > usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors
              on bits of the
              > frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them.
              Falling off
              > a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?£15 each way.
              It's in FAQs
              > apparantly, but I have never been told when making my
              bookings.
              > Liz

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • minch20022002
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., KarenPriceUK@a... wrote:
                > Bike Park in Covent Garden sell bike bags, I think they hire them
                too.

                > Would be interested to hear about the logistics of your trip. I've
                been itching to do some more off road. Are you flying to Trieste?

                > Karen

                Dear Karen,

                I flew to Trieste last week (£18 return!) - actually the airport is
                near to Montfalcone & even closer to the Slovenian border and
                certainly easy to cycle - you have to cross in 1 of 2 border posts in
                Gorizia/Nova Goriza which is a bit like old Berlin with the border
                running through the middle of the town. Then a train (timetable
                http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/cgi-bin/router/router.exe?mode=1 ) is to
                Bohinjska Bistrica up the stunning Soca valley. I actually had to
                stay in the former town as the the winter timetable is a bit more
                restricted.

                I actually hired a bike along with some Israelis but when one of the
                saddles fell off i realised the writing was on the wall - would
                recommend walking shoes as well as the mountains are stunning.
              • phcorkill@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                  I flew Ryanair to Perpignon in the summer and back from Barcelona with EasyJet.

                  For both airlines it was very straightforward, I removed the pedals, let down the tyres and turned the handlbars. Bike was collected from the check in and turned up in one piece both times.

                  Ryanair charge and make you sign a disclaimer saying that they have no liability in the event of damage. EasyJet was free, and no disclaimer to sign. With both I booked the bike on in advance, but had to do this over the phone as there was no facility to do it on the internet.

                  Fabulous feeling riding away from the airport!

                  Peter
                • Ayako Dobson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                    This is prompted by the "recommendations for flying..."

                    I agree with Pete Millbrook about some plastic tyre levers being weak, but I
                    wouldn't use metal ones: you might as well use spoons, (or the lever of your
                    wheel skewer, which someone admitted to on the maintenance course). There is
                    a good plastic lever out there: the blue ones made by Park Tools. These are
                    indestructible. I've used some good Zefal ones, which flexed, and looked
                    like they had to break, but didn't, but the Park ones don't flex at all, and
                    have the feeling of quality. IMHO Park don't make a bad tool, and I would
                    definitely recommend the levers, especially if you have a tight tyre and rim
                    compination.

                    About bike bags, they are de rigeur in Japan. You can't travel on a train
                    without one, but with one, you can go anywhere. Frankly, I don't know why
                    more cyclists don't use them. I suppose it's a case of "We've always doine
                    it like this." I have a bag that will take a bike with just the front wheel
                    removed, but if you take them both off, remove the pedals to save your shins
                    when carrying it, and pack the wheels next to the frame, you have a package
                    which is no larger than a large suitcase. I don't see how any train company
                    can justifiably stop you taking such a package on a train, unless they are
                    also going to stop people with big trolley suitcases, and those returning
                    from IKEA. Tandems, however, are a different matter, which is why we have a
                    folding one.

                    PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap to your
                    dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure your wheels
                    to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you can find:
                    when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an enormous
                    "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get some bags
                    made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is also an
                    incentive to keep your bike clean!

                    Julian Dobson
                  • Ayako Dobson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2002
                      on 11/11/02 6:06 pm, Liz Delap at liz.delap@... wrote:

                      > I've done a few ryanair trips with bikes and have found :
                      > No need for a bike bag, just turn handlebars 90 degrees, take pedals off and
                      > let some air out of tyres (not sure this is really necessary). I also
                      > usaully stick on a few pipe insulation foam rubber protectors on bits of the
                      > frame. These can be left on for the trip to save storing them. Falling off
                      > a log....but they do nake a bike surcharge of ?15 each way. It's in FAQs
                      > apparantly, but I
                      Hi Liz

                      I've always known about letting the tyres down, but when our tandem arrived
                      from the States by Fed Ex, Bike Friday, the manufacturers, had merrily
                      packed the tyres fully pumped up to 100 psi, and they survived. I've read
                      that a tyre should be able to withstand twice it's rated pressure, and is
                      tested to this amount. Having said that, I burst a mountain bike tyre by
                      overpumping it. I think it depends on the tyre and the rim. The pipe lagging
                      is definitely a good idea, and it's so easy and cheap to fit.

                      Julian Dobson
                    • wander2x
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                        Good idea, what do you recommend using as a carry strap?

                        > PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap
                        to your
                        > dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure
                        your wheels
                        > to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you
                        can find:
                        > when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an
                        enormous
                        > "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get
                        some bags
                        > made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is
                        also an
                        > incentive to keep your bike clean!
                        >
                        > Julian Dobson
                      • Ayako Dobson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                          on 13/11/02 1:05 pm, wander2x at css01fr@... wrote:

                          > Good idea, what do you recommend using as a carry strap?
                          >

                          >> PS You don't even have to buy a bag: if you attached a carry strap
                          > to your
                          >> dismantled frame, and used tyres, toe clip strips etc to secure
                          > your wheels
                          >> to your frame, you can put it into whatever jumbo plastic bag you
                          > can find:
                          >> when I brought some wheels back from Japan, Virgin put them in an
                          > enormous
                          >> "wheel bag" which could easily take a bike. Maybe we should get
                          > some bags
                          >> made, and get Rushton to screen print them for us. Using a bag is
                          > also an
                          >> incentive to keep your bike clean!
                          >>
                          >> Julian Dobson

                          Outdoor stores sell padded shoulder straps for replacing the ones on bags,
                          and you might be able to take one of a bag you already have. You could get
                          some velcro straps to wrap around the frame, and then clip the shoulder
                          strap to those. You don't even need a strap: if you pack the bag right, you
                          can just put it under your arm (depends on the bike, and your strength, but
                          there again, Bromptons aren't particularly light).

                          Julan
                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
                            The Brixton Cycles group does off road trail riding around
                            Dorking most weekends. I've been out on those rides a few
                            times this year and was suprised at how many MTB riders use
                            the trails around Dorking and the number of singletrack trails
                            there were.

                            They're a friendly, welcoming group and have just set up a
                            yahoogroup list like our Greenwich one here, so if anyone wants
                            to go out riding with them just leave an e-mail message there
                            (http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/BrixtonCycles). They usually
                            meet at Clapham Junction station ticket office around 9-9.30 on
                            a Sunday.

                            --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., "minch20022002" <mincher@d...>