Crown Woods School car show Sun October 14, 2001

  • Clare Cowen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
      To Greenwich Cyclists
      From Crown Woods Parent-Teacher Assoc.

      This is a formal request / invitation to Greenwich Cyclists to participate at the above fund-raising car show, which is the school's biggest public event. (You were not able to do so last year, at very short notice. In fact the heavy rains necessitated cancellation on the day.)

      The event has, up to now, been a day for classic car and bus enthusiasts, with all kinds of gleaming monsters. This year it is going to be broader, possibly on the theme of science and technology as well. We are inviting industrial archeology groups, the Thames Barrier, and anyone else we can think of . The technology department are suggesting something with their new CAD equipment, jewellery making, and make-your-own hot-air balloons. We would like to get the next-door environmental centre to open on the day as well.

      We would like really cyclists / Sustrans to be included somehow, not only as a counter to cars in general, but also because we are trying to get a proper evaluation of how students travel to school done along the line of the Sustrans "Safe Routes to School". (We're still some way off getting it off the ground, but raising the profile of cycling in a big school like that -- 2,200 students -- must surely be worthwhile . . .)

      I know everyone has limited time and energy. Please see if it can be done. We may even find that we have cycling enthusiasts among the staff when we circulate them during the next fortnight. It is a long way ahead, I know, but maybe we can work something out. It would help us if you could indicate whether you are interested in principle.

      Thanks

      Clare Cowen (pta co-chair)
    • andrew forsyth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001