Arsenal riverside route - Saturday 11 November

  • Barry Mason
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2000
      Our gentle 30 mile ride this Saturday leaves CSG at 10am for
      Gravesend and the ferry over.....and was going to celebrate the
      opening of the Woolwich Arsenal stretch en route.

      The developers, the London Development Agency (ex-English
      Partnerships) promised me a couple of weeks ago that the path, which
      is ready behind the fencing and which was open for the day on 8
      October, would be open by 10 November. It won't be.

      I had a look on Wednesday....still shut tight. The site manager (Paul
      Dyer on 8316 1061) told me that there were some nasty holes that
      needed making safe and that the path would be open by the end of
      November. So I phoned Maria Jones at LDA HQ (7680 2056), it was she
      who told me open by 10 November. Her version...."Oh, sorry, legal
      delays".

      This path could have opened over a year ago had EP/LDA been bothered
      to put a fence alongside their site. The delays drag on and start to
      spoil a huge achievement...the riverside link between Woolwich and
      Thamesmead.

      We'll ride it as soon as it's open and if you care do please phone
      the above to check the latest excuse.

      Good meeting with Beth tonight.....web-site nearly
      ready....www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk of course.

      And, no, I won't be tooled up on Saturday. But I'm sorely tempted.

      weather looking ok again.