Re: [greenwichcyclists] buddy scheme

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2002
      Nice coincidence.

      Nabeela, who learnt to ride with us during the IWF events and I think did 3
      of them, asked me at tonight's new maintenance class if there's anyone who
      can buddy her some mornings from her flat up Shooters Hill to her work at
      the Forum@Greenwich. She thinks she needs several journeys with an
      experienced cyclist before she's confident enough on the roads.

      Buddy schemes are very simple. We're offering them during Bike Week. Simply
      about an experienced cyclist showing a novice how to get to work or wherever
      on a bike a few times until the pupil is confident enough to do the ride
      themselves having learnt a bit about roadcraft, taking the lane, what to
      watch for, the route and so on.

      I don't think there's much more to it than that. We organised a couple of
      such pairings so far, I've forgotten who with.

      Can anyone help Nabeela then?

      At Thursday meeting about Beginners classes we can consider including paid
      buddies in our grant application.

      (And Chris, if you've done them before, tell us all the details).

      Barry
      on the way to pick up Sarah's track stand tonight I discovered the Catford
      buslane contraflow system. Liked it. And on the way back to Greenwich used
      the Waterlink Way....and joined several people in discovering a tiny 3ish
      year old girl on a trike who couldn't speak English and was quite alone. I
      left as the police arrived. Ouch.

        > Anyone with good advice for how to run a buddy scheme?
        >

        > FCR
        >
        > ps velodrome was brilliant, I have just recovered, could hardly get
        > home as tired and the wind was blowing against me.

        The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by another person is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

        Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. Simmons Gainsford and its associated companies do not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

        Although this e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses, the success of scanning products is not guaranteed. The recipient(s) should therefore carry out any checks that they believe to be appropriate in this respect.