Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

18 may minutes

Expand Messages
  • masonb
    Stuck at home waiting for someone.........so here s quick minutes...........cut and pasted below: see many of you on Sunday...... Best wishes..... Barry
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2000
      Stuck at home waiting for someone.........so here's quick minutes...........cut and pasted below: see many of you on Sunday......
      Best wishes.....

      Greenwich Cyclists

      Notes of  planning meeting: Greenwich Forum

      7.30pm, Thursday 18 May 2000


      Present: Barry Mason, Jeff Salway, Graham Johnson, Duncan Brown, Bob Woodruff, Mary Krueger, Fanny Abramczuk, Chloe Stothart, Nick Williams, Eeva Bergland, Sunra Lambert, Paul Clare, Dasha Michovska   


      Reason: to go over the draft newsletter,  detail events during the Millennium Festival of Cycling, co-ordinate details of ride on 1 July, and anything else. 




      Barry welcomed all, good turnout. Great to meet Mary, Fanny and Chloe. 


      Greenwich Forum:  Sunra Lambert introduced himself. He was a professional Community Worker based at Greenwich Forum whose job was to help local groups with funding applications, equality issues, outreach, membership management, networking, administration, charitable status, links with local regeneration bodies such as the Greenwich Development Agent and Greenwich Volunteer Action Committee, and all sorts of related issues. He welcomed the formation of Greenwich cyclists and said the new group seemed to have managed a great deal in a short time.


      The meeting felt that this was really helpful, looked forward to working with SL and invited him to stay for the rest of the meeting.


      SL would send BM funding and other documentation. He advised the group to go to the volunteer day at Mycenae House on Sunday 4 June to meet other groups. BM agreed to go, and needs support on the day. (Details direct from BM)


      SL also mentioned that Greenwich Cyclists could use Greenwich Forum as an address – we would have our own secure in-tray, as do many groups. This was agreed.  


      Accounts: Eeva Bergland, as duly elected Treasurer, explained that she’d started setting up the GC account. It was agreed to set up 3 signatories, 2 of whom were needed on each cheque. It was also agreed that EB and MK could sign, EB would find another.  The £400 Agenda 21 grant cheque from Greenwich Council  had been out to the London Cycling Campaign. They would look after the money until we were ready.


      Newsletter:  NW tabled the first newsletter. It was much appreciated and was urgently needed for distribution on 21 May. Some minor changes were agreed – there were also event details to add. It was agreed that:


      NW would supply DB and JS 200 copies to hand out on 21 May. NB will join BM at LCC at 6.30pm on Tuesday 23 May for magazine stuffing. FA and CS would come to our 7 June meeting with a list of Greenwich borough wide bike shops, leisure centres, libraries, health shops, gyms, tourist offices etc etc so that we can set up a distribution mechanism.


      Press release:  NW had send out our first press release on 16 May: “On your bike says Greenwich Cyclists”. Our response to Greenwich Council’s Interim Transport Plan.


      Fund-raising: MK described herself as a marketing professional. BM nominated her as Fund-raiser, seconded by EB, and agreed by all. For the time being, MK would concentrate on the private sector, BM on public funding. Funding was needed for the newsletter, for running costs, for adult training, for outreach, for events and many other items.  A detailed map of Greenwich cycle routes was a basic, missing, tool – specially for new cyclists.  MK would bring proposals to the next meeting.


      Charlton Athletic Football Club:   BM tabled their newsletter of Summer 2000. He, NW and GE has been considering the CA’s parking problems, health projects, equalities drives and local importance. It was agreed that at our next meeting, GC would appoint a project team to work up a proposal to put to CA.


      Health Action Zones:  these new zones were about to be announced by Government and would come with funding. BM to investigate.


      Mayor’s Bike Ride: 21 May:  BM presented detailed. Meet London Bridge mainline concourse at 10.30am, or – main meet – Cutty Sark Gardens at 11am for 11.40am start to Thamesmead and free lunch. £5 minimum donation suggested. Most present said they’d be there. This was a good chance to publicise GC, and should be fun. BM was taken some further afterwards: over the Dartford crossing and back to London . MK and DB would take pics.


      Millennium Festival of Cycling:  this had been National Bike Week and is an important annual showcase. This year it sees the launch of Sustrans Lottery funded 5,000 first half of the National Cycle Network. BM introduced the outline list of GC events is as follows:


      17 June: feeder rides at 9am from General Gordon Place and New Eltham station. 9.30am Cutty Sark Gardens (CSG) , then to LCC Cycle Festival in Mile End Park


      18 June: 10am CSG: Locks, docks and one smoking ferry. 15 mile circle,  lunch after


      19 June: 7pm CSG: after-worker


      20 June: Bike to work day: 7.15am CSG to Island Café, Southwark Bridge Road to meet Southwark Cyclists, and breakfast


      20 June: 8am bike breakfast, General Gordon Place


      21 June: Midsummer madness: summer solstice sunrise: 1.15am, CSG, 2am  southside London Bridge, 3am Bar Italia, Frith Street, 4am: Primrose Hill for 4.43am sunrise over the city. Meet lots of other groups en route.   


      22 June: 7.30pm, CSG: MFC’s shortest ride to a child-friendly pub. Under a mile.


      23 June: 7pm CSG: Friday weekend-starter. Easy Dome ride to the Pilot. Then whatever……


      24 June: 11am CSG: Greenwich history in a day lead by a professional guide. Quebec Heights, Arsenal, Clockwork Orange, Eltham Palace…..


      25 June: 9.30am, CSG: Up the Creek: ride the Ravensbourne river through parks to Bromley.


      The above list has gone to LCC for their London leaflet. We would appoint ride helpers at the next meeting.  



      Other events: DB, GJ and JS would work up a mountain bike event – perhaps in Maryon Park – to suggest to the next meeting. 



      Next meeting: Wednesday 7 June, 7.30pm, Greenwich Forum.




      19 May 2000

      020 7232 0444


















      Barry Mason

      020 7232 0444


      20 April 2000     

      GC minutes2                                                                            





    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.