Enquiry

  • Clare Saunders
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2000
      Dear Greenwich cyclists group. I've recently joined your
      e-group. I was hoping that at least one of you might be
      able to provide me with some information about the current
      activities of Greenwich Cyclists. I am researching the
      environmental movement at the University of Kent.

      Hope that someone can help.

      Thanks.
      Clare.
      On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:11:56 -0000 Barry Mason
      <masonb@...> wrote:

      > At last, the London Development Agency open an albeit temporary route
      > thorugh the Arsenal in early November. The permanent route opens next
      > spring (?) and we'll do a launch event, with Sustrans etc hopefully.
      >
      > So, 10am Saturday 11 November Cutty Sark Gardens for the riverside
      > meander through to the Arsenal....and optionally beyond to
      > Gravesend, the threatened 300yo first and last Thames pub - the Ship
      > and Lobster - and the ferry over the river. Tilbury Fort. Then back
      > west and over the M25 bridge......and home.
      >
      > 35 miles with the extension.
      >
      > (In the wonderful Iain Sinclair's Liquid City on page 67 there's a
      > pic of the remains of some ceramic lettering from a partly demolished
      > pub by the junction of Eglington and Herbert Roads, Woolwich. A found
      > poem. The letters show the end of 2 words "......SION......ANTS". It's
      > nothing to do with the Sensation exhibition and the Saatchi Ant Scene
      > or whatever sequel. What was it? Driving me nuts).
      >
      > Barry
      > masonb@...

      Clare Saunders
      C.E.Saunders@...
      Research Assistant
      Centre for the Study of Social and Political Movements
      Darwin College
      University of Kent at Canterbury
      CT2 7NY
      Tel: +44 (0)1227 827039
      Fax: +44 (0)1227 827005
    • Clare Cowen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2000
        Clare Saunders' email caught my eye because I received a letter today as a
        beach-hut
        owner asking me to write disagreeing with Canterbury Council's proposal for
        a cycle route between the two rows of Whitstable West Beach huts. "As hut
        owners you will appreciate the dangers of this", says the letter. The huts
        are owned by quite a lot of elderly people at one end and families with
        small children at the other and is a quiet beach that is not on the way to
        anywhere else very easy.

        I don't intend to write the letter opposing it, but I would appreciate some
        ammunition to explain both to my other half and possibly other hut owners
        why it is a good thing. "If it's on the maps you will get dozens of people
        speeding through what is also a path for pedestrians," I was told at home
        this morning. I presume it would be a "shared use" path? It is already used
        as such, but there is no easy link from it to Seasalter. I know they have
        long had no-cycling signs along the (rather different) Tankerton seafront
        past those beach huts -- a lovely cycle ride all the way to Herne Bay. I
        have done it early in the morning when only dog-walkers and joggers are
        about.

        It is only because Clare (Saunders) is at Kent University in Canterbury, I
        presume, and I have been reading Greenwich Cyclists stuff about routes along
        the river to Whitstable etc. that I hoped you might have ideas . . .

        Clare Cowen
        >Dear Greenwich cyclists group. I've recently joined your
        >e-group. I was hoping that at least one of you might be
        >able to provide me with some information about the current
        >activities of Greenwich Cyclists. I am researching the
        >environmental movement at the University of Kent.
        >
        >Hope that someone can help.
        >
        >Thanks.
        >Clare.
        >On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:11:56 -0000 Barry Mason
        ><masonb@...> wrote:
        >
        >> At last, the London Development Agency open an albeit temporary route
        >> thorugh the Arsenal in early November. The permanent route opens next
        >> spring (?) and we'll do a launch event, with Sustrans etc hopefully.
        >>
        >> So, 10am Saturday 11 November Cutty Sark Gardens for the riverside
        >> meander through to the Arsenal....and optionally beyond to
        >> Gravesend, the threatened 300yo first and last Thames pub - the Ship
        >> and Lobster - and the ferry over the river. Tilbury Fort. Then back
        >> west and over the M25 bridge......and home.
        >>
        >> 35 miles with the extension.
        >>
        >> (In the wonderful Iain Sinclair's Liquid City on page 67 there's a
        >> pic of the remains of some ceramic lettering from a partly demolished
        >> pub by the junction of Eglington and Herbert Roads, Woolwich. A found
        >> poem. The letters show the end of 2 words "......SION......ANTS". It's
        >> nothing to do with the Sensation exhibition and the Saatchi Ant Scene
        >> or whatever sequel. What was it? Driving me nuts).
        >>
        >> Barry
        >> masonb@...

        >Clare Saunders
        >C.E.Saunders@...
        >Research Assistant
        >Centre for the Study of Social and Political Movements
        >Darwin College
        >University of Kent at Canterbury
        >CT2 7NY
        >Tel: +44 (0)1227 827039
        >Fax: +44 (0)1227 827005

      • Greg Englefield
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2000
          I do not know the route, but in principle Greenwich cyclists supports
          shared use cycle and pedestrian routes where a divided route is not
          possible. Clearly cyclists need to be very aware of pedestrians and
          avoid the risk of collision. However, safe cycling routes particularly
          for young and novice cyclists are scarce and should be encouraged.
          Cycling is also a great way to get fit and travel relatively long
          distances, that is accessible to all ages. You could write to the other
          hut owners pointing out the advantages of cycling and that provision can
          be made for both by dividing the pathway.

          Can I suggest you could also contact the transport charity Sustrans
          (Sustrans.org.uk, telephone number 0117 915 0114) which is developing
          the National Cycle Network including the route along the north Kent
          coast. They may have more information about this particular route.
          They have developed many miles of very successful dual use pathway
          throughout Britain.

          Greg Englefield
          Greenwich Cyclists

          In message <002601c039e0$f5d04ae0$1e02048d@stype-pii-350>, Clare Cowen
          <clare@...> writes

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2000
            I've been too slow to pick this oyster up.

            Shucks.

            A dozen or so Greenwich Cyclists know the Cutty Sark-Whitstable route
            well....we've done the main road way, and then the off-road way.....it's a
            lovely and very varied ride, flat. Easy on the eye/thigh.

            The Thames/ estuary/ marshes/oast/ Kent/seaside transitions are seamless yet
            final.

            We're doing it again on 4 November, leaving Cutty Sark Gardens at 10am. Some
            of us are staying over in various B&Bs and riding locally Sunday morning,
            let me know if you want to. Some will train back Saturday evening. The rest
            may check out the 20 seat cinema. With table service.

            I digress, the beach-hut furore: at present (I'm relying on memory and the
            ace but not that friendly Sustrans Garden of England Cycle route map) the
            route just before
            Whitstable through the Graveney Marshes and Seasalter is forced needlessly
            inland and into Whitstable by the back door. No punch the sky Welcome sign.

            I'm presuming that the beach-hut route is from the
            junction (and useful loo) where the road goes inland. That route will be a
            big improvement and, as Greg says, shared-use is becoming the norm in
            such places and needs to be nurtured. (The sharing is very reminiscent of
            the successful shared halycon St Mary's-Dungeness coastal bit that GCs
            saw/swam on 15 October).

            See page 51 of the Sustrans "Official Guide to the National Cycle Network":
            there's detail on the Canterbury and Whitstable cycle path and even a
            pre-emptive photo of someone cycling the Whitstable/Seasalter seafront
            between caravans and said beachhuts. The Guide shows the path as complete,
            it isn't. The map says the proposed route is due for completion in December.
            We'll check on 4/11.

            And of course, wonderful Tracey Emin's Whitstable beachhut and bed and
            bottom
            sheet are currently on view/sale at the Saatchi Gallery. (Don't wateverudo
            miss Richard Wilson's 20:50 while you're there. Even oil can be beautiful).

            Sustrans good mailorder service for maps is on 0117 929 0888. Way ahead of
            slow and creaky too long www.nationalcyclenetwork.org.uk

            Barry
            masonb@...
            Is it a sly Isobel joke: the Italian printers of the National Cycle Network
            guide are G Canale and C Turin.

            > I do not know the route, but in principle Greenwich cyclists supports
            > shared use cycle and pedestrian routes where a divided route is not
            > possible. Clearly cyclists need to be very aware of pedestrians and
            > avoid the risk of collision. However, safe cycling routes particularly
            > for young and novice cyclists are scarce and should be encouraged.
            > Cycling is also a great way to get fit and travel relatively long
            > distances, that is accessible to all ages. You could write to the other
            > hut owners pointing out the advantages of cycling and that provision can
            > be made for both by dividing the pathway.
            >
            > Can I suggest you could also contact the transport charity Sustrans
            > (Sustrans.org.uk, telephone number 0117 915 0114) which is developing
            > the National Cycle Network including the route along the north Kent
            > coast. They may have more information about this particular route.
            > They have developed many miles of very successful dual use pathway
            > throughout Britain.
            >
            > Greg Englefield
            > Greenwich Cyclists
            >
            > In message <002601c039e0$f5d04ae0$1e02048d@stype-pii-350>, Clare Cowen
            > <clare@...> writes
            > >Clare Saunders' email caught my eye because I received a letter today as
            > >beach-hut
            > >owner asking me to write disagreeing with Canterbury Council's proposal
            for
            > >a cycle route between the two rows of Whitstable West Beach huts. "As hut
            > >owners you will appreciate the dangers of this", says the letter. The
            huts
            > >are owned by quite a lot of elderly people at one end and families with
            > >small children at the other and is a quiet beach that is not on the way
            > >anywhere else very easy.
            > >
            > >I don't intend to write the letter opposing it, but I would appreciate
            some
            > >ammunition to explain both to my other half and possibly other hut owners
            > >why it is a good thing. "If it's on the maps you will get dozens of
            people
            > >speeding through what is also a path for pedestrians," I was told at home
            > >this morning. I presume it would be a "shared use" path? It is already
            used
            > >as such, but there is no easy link from it to Seasalter. I know they have
            > >long had no-cycling signs along the (rather different) Tankerton seafront
            > >past those beach huts -- a lovely cycle ride all the way to Herne Bay. I
            > >have done it early in the morning when only dog-walkers and joggers are
            > >about.
            > >
            > >It is only because Clare (Saunders) is at Kent University in Canterbury,
            > >presume, and I have been reading Greenwich Cyclists stuff about routes
            along
            > >the river to Whitstable etc. that I hoped you might have ideas . . .
            > >

            > >Clare Cowen

          • Clare Cowen
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
              Perhaps the final word on that well-known Greenwich cycle route through the
              Whitstable West Beach huts:

              I spent half-term at our caravan in Whitstable. By a lucky chance I bumped
              into a man with a camera and clip board at the beach huts: a contractor
              pricing up the new bit. He showed me the plans. The route deals precisely
              with the nasty problem of having to leave the coast and detour into
              Whitstable. The route will link the Seasalter corner where the road swings
              inland with a path between the railway line and the seafront houses, and
              then join the West Beach path between the beach huts. This means no more
              wheeling bikes down a very steep path next to the Rose in Bloom and then
              carrying them over the railway bridge to reach West Beach. A vast
              improvement!

              There were exchanges in the local papers about this little storm in a
              tea-cup. It seems that of the 86 letters the planning department has
              received almost all were in favour of the new path and four of the opposing
              letters were from one resident . . .

              Life is so eventful in small towns, but that's why we love Whitstable . . .

              Clare Cowen