Re: London to Land's End (proposed), Easter weekend

  • sc1636
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2002
      It sounds great: I'm in! but I am a bit worried about the first
      day.

      Looking at the map, and in "flying crow" distances, London-
      Salisbury is at least 1.5 to 2ce the distance London-Whitstable ...
      with a lot of city ride to start with, which is usually slower than
      the normal road rides.
      I still think we should consider taking the train to get out of
      the city (which is not so critical, as it is done very often
      on "small rides"), and try to get about 10-15 miles out of that
      first day ride. We will still be well whithin the 80 miles anyway (I
      try to get my bike to fly, but last time was a complete failure!)

      Are there many cycle or small roads between the cities below, or
      will we have to take "big" roads? I am all for the side roads, but
      keeping in mind that the smaller ones are usually not direct.

      Sabine

      --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., roger@j... wrote:
      > As discussed today on the Lee Valley ride, I think this can be
      done but
      > it will be hard work.
      >
      > It's 268 miles in a straight line from Greenwich to Land's End.
      Add to
      > that 10 miles back from Land's End to Penzance for the closest
      train.

      > The real problem is that on the Bank Holiday Monday (1/4/02),
      there's a
      > train from Penzance at 1730hrs (arr. London 2305) and another at
      2200
      > (arr. London 0535 Tues 2/4/02). I don't mind coming back on the
      overnight
      > train but it would depend on whether everyone in the group wanted
      to do
      > that and possibly take a day off work the next day.
      >
      > Assuming not...
      >
      > Day 1 (Friday 29) - Greenwich to Salisbury - 82 miles (as crow
      flies)
      > Day 2 (Saturday 30) - Salisbury to Exeter - 76 miles
      > Day 3 (Sunday 31) - Exeter to St. Austell - 63 miles
      > Day 4 (Monday 1) - St. Austell to Land's End + Penzance - 45 +
      10 miles

      > Optional day 4, for anybody desperate to get back, is St. Austell
      > Penzance, 36 miles. Could get the 1552, arr. London 2139.
      >

      > Obviously, those daily destinations are subject to change - it
      would be
      > nice to aim for more rural stops, dependent on B&B but they're
      just
      > guides.
      >
      > Who is interested?
      >

      > Roger
      >
      > -------------------------------------
      > Roger Seaward
      > Roger@j...
      > http://www.jollyrog.com
      > +44 7956 254836
      > (07956 254836 in the UK)
      > -------------------------------------
    • Roderick Clyne
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2002

        I'm tentatively in, too  (although this depends on family arrangements). Might it not, however, be more sensible to do it the other way round: train down to Penzance on Thursday night, B&B near Lands End and then cycle in towards London with the wind on our backs. When you decide have had enough, it's an easy thing to take the train for the last few miles, without any sense of having been defeated. When people do the End to End they almost always do Lands End to J O'G rather than the other way round. There are some hills in Cornwall and Devon that are far more serious than those encountered in the far north of Scotland - something better got out of the way when you are still fresh - and there is always the matter of the prevailing wind. As we all know from the past few weeks' weather, the wind can be a real friend or a nasty enemy.

        -Rory

      • Linda Pearce
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2002
          Doubt whether I can do this trip as I return from 2 weeks holiday the previous Monday, pushing my luck to get another day off that week.  May need to save my energy for the September trip to Wales which I'll definately do!
          However, tend to agree with Rory re travel arrangements.  Linda

        • roger@jollyrog.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2002
            > It sounds great: I'm in! but I am a bit worried about the first day.

            The first day will be fine, trust me, I never lie.

            > Looking at the map, and in "flying crow" distances, London-
            > Salisbury is at least 1.5 to 2ce the distance London-Whitstable ...
            > with a lot of city ride to start with, which is usually slower than
            > the normal road rides.

            It's about 1.5 times. London - Whitstable can't be done "flying crow",
            because crows can't swim.

            > I still think we should consider taking the train to get out of
            > the city (which is not so critical, as it is done very often
            > on "small rides"), and try to get about 10-15 miles out of that

            Hmmm... I really want to do *Greenwich* to Land's End. It's a real
            Greenwich ride then. Getting to the West of London (we go West, not South)
            isn't so bad, it's a journey I cycle regularly. With no messing around,
            we'll make Kingston (13.5 miles from Greenwich, "flying crow")in about 1h
            30m. To get there by train, we'd have to get to either Waterloo or Clapham
            Junction anyway and by the time we'd gone up to the City to get a train,
            there's little point.

            The solution is simple on the first day. We leave early. It will be a
            Public Holiday (Good Friday) so the roads will be quieter than usual. If
            we leave Greenwich at 8am, it will be very quiet out there and we can zip
            along.

            The first day will be hard, yes but the following days each get a little
            shorter. I'm sure nobody wants to cycle in the dark but sunset time over
            that weekend is 1935hrs and it will be light for 20-30 minutes after that.
            So... if we leave at 0800 on that first day, we have 12 hours of light to
            get there. Does that sound so bad?

            > Are there many cycle or small roads between the cities below, or
            > will we have to take "big" roads? I am all for the side roads, but
            > keeping in mind that the smaller ones are usually not direct.

            It will be necessary to do much of this ride on larger roads. Bear in mind
            though that outside of London, many "A" roads are smaller than London "A"
            roads. I'll go and buy the complete set of Ordnance Survey maps for the
            route and spend some time planning it to keep off the main roads and away
            from the gradients as far as is practicable.

            To answer Rory's points - I think this is best done from the London End.
            Apart from the fact that I want to do it in that direction for personal
            reasons (my dad did it in the late 1950's and I want to do the same), the
            Thursday train option to Penzance is a non-starter. It will be busy anyway
            with the great Easter getaway, but assuming that people finish work at
            1700hrs, the earliest train we could get on Thursday night would be the
            1803hrs, arriving in Penzance at 2325. No good. Chances of getting on a
            back-end of rush hour, easter getaway train with a load of bikes = about
            zero. I can't imagine a B&B would take us in at that time of night either.
            It could be even later, if we don't make the 1803 and end up on the 1903.

            This is not a ride for the faint hearted (or slower riders) and people
            should only consider this one if they have serious intentions of finishing
            it. Unlike most Greenwich rides, we will be very pushed for time and if
            you are going too slow, feel the need to drop out or your bike falls to
            bits, this is going to be like Dunwich Dynamo. We do our best for you but
            may end up leaving you by the roadside.

            For that reason, I will be buying cycle rescue cover from CTC/ETA. They'll
            come and fetch you and your bike and take you to a bike repairer or
            station if you break down, have an accident or are vandalised. It's
            �30/year and details can be found at:

            http://www.cyclecover.co.uk/rescue.html
            Tel 0800 212810.

            Roger