Thames Cycle path

  • Tony Fullbrook
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28 1:53 PM
      Does anyone know how far down river from Woolwich it is now possible to
      ride? Has the path now been fully opened beyond the Waterfront Centre going
      down river? I've heard rumour you can ride as far as Erith - I am interested
      in riding down to the Dartford Bridge - is this possible?

      Look forward to hearing from anyone in the know!

      Cheers

      Tony

      Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
      Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/
    • Liz Delap
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28 2:05 PM
        I tried the Thames path last Sunday. There are still diversions almost
        immediately after the Waterfront. You are taken back onto the dual
        carriageway but can walk down some shallow steps (just before Loolwich
        college) and go through a housing estate towards the river. You pick up the
        sustrans signs again just before some waste ground and get back onto the
        river front. All fine then (although not many sustrans signs) until past
        Thamesmead central (clocktowe). I turned off about a mile after that but
        the path looks as though it goes on. Does anybody know what plans (if any)
        there are for the old Cubow yard site just before the ferry ?

        Liz Delap

        >Does anyone know how far down river from Woolwich it is now possible to
        >ride? Has the path now been fully opened beyond the Waterfront Centre going
        >down river? I've heard rumour you can ride as far as Erith - I am
        interested
        >in riding down to the Dartford Bridge - is this possible?
        >
        >Look forward to hearing from anyone in the know!
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >Tony

      • Isobel Stoddart
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28 2:55 PM
          Dear Tony

          You can ride from the Woolwich Ferry to Erith off-road along the riverside,
          past Crossness (inc. minor detour for the next month until Woolwich Arsenal
          is opened up). You then have a section of on-road that is nasty - not yet
          built along Manor Road east of Erith and then you are back on riverside
          (albeit surfacing not yet complete) around Crayford Marshes and into
          Dartford station.

          If you are interested in getting hold of a map you can ring Sustrans
          Information service 0117 929 0888

          £4.99

          Thanks

          Isobel Stoddart (Sustrans)

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29 12:00 AM
            The 200 metre stretch through the Woolwich Arsenal east of the leisure
            centre (and excellent pool) and Fascist Park is very late opening. There's a
            longish diversion round the Arsenal walls. Sustrans, Greenwich Council and
            Greenwich Cyclists are all onto the London Development Agency to get this
            open. Phone Maria Jones/Tom Keady at the LDA and ask for news/grumble too.
            020 7680 2056.

            Might open in November but after that stretch the path is now open right
            through to the outskirts of Erith and thro to Dartford.

            The bit south along the river Darent feels like Suffolk...lovely marshes.

            The best map I've seen is the newish Sustrans London Thames Cycle route map.
            They've a very efficient mail order system, 0117 929 0888 or
            www.nationalcyclenetwork.org.uk. The maps about £6 and arrive within the
            week. Stamfords in Covent Garden stock them (great mapophile shop).

            Me and other GC people have done the ride to the Dartford Bridge a number of
            times, and either turned round there, or got a lift under the tunnel by the
            police (mandatory - good to phone them in advance 01322 221222 to wake them
            up anytime up to 30 minutes before you arrive) and cycled back along the
            north side (good pub lunch in Purfleet on Thames and amazing stranded
            medieval church surrounded by industry), or gone further to, say,
            Whitstable. A good perm was to go out east to Gravesend, get the ferry
            north, ride west then get the Dartford south again (watch it...lovely little
            ferry doesn't run Sunday).

            It's really worth exploring out there.

            Give me a call if you need more detail......020 7232 0444. And watch the GC
            rides diary.......Whitstable again in Octobr, Dungeness too. Wouldn't mind
            slotting in a Dartford trip if others want too.........

            > Does anyone know how far down river from Woolwich it is now possible to
            > ride? Has the path now been fully opened beyond the Waterfront Centre
            going
            > down river? I've heard rumour you can ride as far as Erith - I am
            interested
            > in riding down to the Dartford Bridge - is this possible?
            >
            > Look forward to hearing from anyone in the know!
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Tony

          • Isobel Stoddart
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30 12:26 AM
              Dear Liz

              Thank you for your comments. You may have seen some of the previous
              correspondence about the opening of Woolwich Arsenal (the section
              immediately east of the Waterfront). We are working hard, with Greenwich
              Cyclists, the council and the Development Agency to get this section opened
              as soon as possible - some outstanding issues re. construction of some
              buildings and new pier at western end of site.

              The signing for the Thames Cycle Route has not yet been installed by
              Greenwich Council. My understanding is that the route will be signed within
              the next two months. The signs that you followed (red stickers) are a very
              interim, stop gap measure until the proper signing is installed.

              The old Cubow site (Mast Pond Wharf?) immediately to the west of the
              Woolwich Ferry is due for redevelopment. In the long term the site will
              incorporate a riverside walk/cycle way with bridges over the two drawdocks
              on the site. We are currently talking to the developer, architect about
              introducing an interim site. We had a site visit early last week and
              Greenwich Council are preparing a cost/design for the interim route.

              Hope this answers your questions.

              Thanks

              Isobel Stoddart

              cc. Katie Dickson - for your information.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30 2:18 AM
                The site west of the ferry is zoned for housing and a hotel I think. I'm not
                sure there's a timetable yet.

                The small docks should surely be preserved in the scheme and let's hope the
                quality of the scheme is better than the abyssal stuff that Greenwich has
                allowed at, say, the western end of Deptford Creek and by the Woolwich
                Warspite Road roundabout. The Deptford Creek site is a wonderful one and
                full of historic significance. The nasty little boxes Fairview right by St
                Nix, eg, are just plonked down insultingly and give new eyes now idea of how
                good the site could have been. A huge waste I feel.

                Twinkle Park round the corner got a Civic Trust award. Deptford Creek
                westside should take it away.

                It's simply not sufficient for planners to say, look, there's a riverpath
                for you. They need too to think about the design quality of the buildings
                that go up on the river....