If you cycle north from the Oval towards Vauxhall Bridge...

  • Teresa Griffith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2014
      What do you think of this proposal?  http://bit.ly/1q09cEd      Deadline for comments 17 August.

      Or there's a petition for 20mph speed limit in Lewisham.. http://chn.ge/1mAfUwR

      --
      Teri

    • Bob Walkden
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2014
        I've always disliked segregated cycle lanes and having just returned from 3 weeks cycling in France where I encountered many of exactly that type, I am even more opposed to them. Horrible things. The worst of all possible worlds.

        On 9 Jul 2014, at 22:33, "Teresa Griffith teresa.triathlete@... [greenwichcyclists]" <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        What do you think of this proposal?  http://bit.ly/1q09cEd      Deadline for comments 17 August.

        Or there's a petition for 20mph speed limit in Lewisham.. http://chn.ge/1mAfUwR

        --
        Teri

      • emmgn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
          I haven't looked at these particular proposals in detail but in principle, unlike Bob Walkden, I welcome segregated cycle lanes.  They may make the journey slower for some cyclists but for people like me they make a huge difference and mean that we feel safer cycling on a major route which I would normally avoid.
        • gc_sec
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
            Amen to that
            ------------------

            From: "fam.norton@... [greenwichcyclists]" <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com>
            Sender: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
            Date: 10 Jul 2014 04:06:37 -0700
            To: <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Re: If you cycle north from the Oval towards Vauxhall Bridge...

            I haven't looked at these particular proposals in detail but in principle, unlike Bob Walkden, I welcome segregated cycle lanes.  They may make the journey slower for some cyclists but for people like me they make a huge difference and mean that we feel safer cycling on a major route which I would normally avoid.
          • Francis Sedgemore
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
              Another amen!

              More segregated cycle lanes would add greatly to cyclist safety in London. As a utility cyclist, and a sports cyclist who like to ride fast and free, I welcome segregated lanes where they are appropriate.

              For a number of years I lived in Denmark, and there very much appreciated the segregated lanes on my commute between Frederiksberg and central Copenhagen. Today I am grateful for the few segregated lanes that are already in place in London, such as that along Stratford High Street.

              I enjoy riding fast and free, but I do not expect to be able to do so in a busy urban environment. In such places it is better to cycle defensively, and stay alive and healthy!

              Francis

              On 10 Jul 14, at 13:13, stephen@... [greenwichcyclists] <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Amen to that

              ------------------

              From: "fam.norton@... [greenwichcyclists]" <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: 10 Jul 2014 04:06:37 -0700

              I haven't looked at these particular proposals in detail but in principle, unlike Bob Walkden, I welcome segregated cycle lanes.  They may make the journey slower for some cyclists but for people like me they make a huge difference and mean that we feel safer cycling on a major route which I would normally avoid.

              —
              Dr Francis Sedgemore
              journalist, writer and editor
              telephone: +44 7840 191336
              website: sedgemore.com
              twitter: @hesgen

            • Mark Etherington

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
                  I agree,

                  I work near Vauxhall and deliberately avoid the gyratory system because it is so dangerous for cyclists even if it means a detour which increases the length and time of my journey.

                  Regards

                  Henry

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
                    This type of segregated infrastructure - shared as it certainly will be with pedestrians - is 5th of 5 in the CTC hierarchy of provision. I don't recall seeing anything in the documents to suggest the 4 preferable types of infrastructure have been considered, and if so why they were rejected, leaving us with the last resort.