Thames Barrier - 6 October - Ride Report

  • Sarah Ellis
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      Seven at Cutty Sark Gardens on a bright, clear, warm early autumn day.  The Greenwich and Bexley Hospice Charity Bike Ride was also setting off at 10.00 so we delayed for few moments to let them get ahead and wait for any latecomers to our ride.  The Barrier was closed so the river was low and still.  Much talk about tides and the moon but nobody seemed quite clear why the Barrier was being closed on this particular day.  We met a few participants and marshals from the charity ride but the path was clear enough for us to make our way easily as far as Greenwich Yacht Club where the sailors were phaffing about with their boats on an apparently annual regatta which always takes place when the Barrier is closed to make full use of the calm river when there is less traffic.  Much activity at the Barrier where we stopped for refreshments and some people asked questions in the information centre.  We left two at the Barrier to enjoy the spectacle for a while longer and made our way back to Cutty Sark Gardens, again on the river path which was open all the way with no blockages for developments.  Long may that continue.