Re: [greenwichcyclists] FW: Avery Hill Park Greenways - Pending works

  • John Hollingum
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2013

      I frequently ride these routes and have done for many years.  It looks to me like LBG are proposing to change a nice easy bike ride into an eyesore.

      Take the stretch marked 'detail 2' (the northern bit,  not the southern bit).  This is one of those naturally nice dirt/grass paths.  You know how sometimes a natural grass or forest surface can be more pleasant to ride on that one of those juddering badly made tarmac surfaces?  It's one of those.  It runs under an avenue of trees.   If they are going to use diggers there,  they  *will* damage the trees.

       On the southern side there are lots of very mature oak trees.  They nearly all have roots running over the surface  or only just under.  It's fun to ride if you've got fat tyres,  but its challenging.  I guess you could make a nice surfaced path if you cut down all the trees.  Oh what the hell,  let's just do that eh?

      If RBG really want to improve cycling why don't they put a kerbed-off cycle lane down Bexley road that my daughter and other Crown Woods students are too scared to ride down .

      John Hollingum