Damned if you do - cyclists and red lights

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
      A report of an incident yesterday in the West End…

      journalist, writer and physicist
      telephone: +44 7840 191336
      website: sedgemore.com

    • Mark Etherington

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
          Thanks, Mark. I've already reported the incident to MPS RoadSafe. As for TfL, it's online reporting form is broken, or at least the server is playing up.

          Francis

          On 30 Aug 13, at 13:03, Mark Etherington <marke@...> wrote:

          > This was probably the vehicle:
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/b777-200_g-ymmh/8116594609/
          >
          > Do complain. Nothing may happen as a result, but at least the incident will be logged.
          >

          > Mark

          journalist, writer and physicist
          telephone: +44 7840 191336
          website: sedgemore.com
        • John Phillips

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
              I hope you will pursue it with LY.
              Liz

              John Phillips <johnp1616@...> wrote:

              Jesus H. !

              This is pushing me further to get a helmet cam - difficult to note down registration numbers etc in some circumstances.

              On 30 August 2013 12:43, Francis Sedgemore <francis@...> wrote:

              A report of an incident yesterday in the West End…

              journalist, writer and physicist
              telephone: +44 7840 191336
              website: sedgemore.com

              Page Title

              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

              This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from

              disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, do not duplicate or redistribute it

              by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received

              it in error.

              Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent

              those of TESLA, Inc. or TESLA (Europe) Ltd.

              TESLA, Inc. is a company incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia, with its registered office

              at 9201 Arboretum Parkway, Suite 120, Richmond, VA 23236-5403, USA.

              TESLA (Europe) Ltd. is a company registered in England (Registered No. 2777311), with its

              registered office at 42-43 Lower Marsh, London, SE1 7RG, UK.

              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

            • Bob Walkden
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
                I've experienced similar things, without the contact, at the right turn from Borough High St onto St Thomas's St, where the lights turn green to allow traffic to go straight on, but stay red for the right turn.

                An extraordinary number of drivers don't seem to see that the light is still red, and get all het up when some (not all) cyclists stay where they are, waiting for it. I stopped responding to them beyond pointing out the colour of the traffic light. Whether I use my index finger or my middle finger depends entirely on the driver.

                This is before the diversions currently in place, of course.

                On 30 Aug 2013, at 12:43, Francis Sedgemore <francis@...> wrote:

                A report of an incident yesterday in the West End…

                journalist, writer and physicist
                telephone: +44 7840 191336
                website: sedgemore.com

              • Stephen Craven
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013

                  On the rare occasions I have had reason to report a bus driver I have always had a positive response from TfL saying they would pass the details to the operating company concerned.  Whether it gets taken further by them is another question although on one occasion I did hear back from the company saying the driver would be given appropriate further training (can’t remember now what his ‘crime’ had been).