A “poignant” tribute to a dead cyclist

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2013
      Tuesday’s LCC protest ride in Holborn features today in the Evening Standard

      And we now have a name for the cyclist killed on Monday morning. He was Alan Neve, 54, who worked in music publishing.

      Since the Evening Standard story went up this morning, references to “hundreds” of cyclists have been changed to “thousands”, but so far only in part. As you can see from freelance photojournalist Nigel Howard’s second image accompanying the text of reporters Conor Sheils and John Dunne, the procession extends as far as the eye can see, and beyond. It was huge!

      Howard’s photo of the cyclists was taken from the head of the procession, by the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway, next to Monday’s collision site. There we stopped for a minute’s silence and the laying of a wreath.

      We estimate that around 2,500 took part in yesterday’s protest ride, described to me by participants and onlookers as “poignant”. There was even a PA system blasting out the music of Richard Wagner, of whom Alan Neve was reportedly a fan.

      Despite the scale of the protest, media reports so far have been patchy, and I didn’t spot a single television camera covering the event. This isn't for want of trying on LCC's part.

      journalist, writer and physicist
      telephone: +44 7840 191336
      website: sedgemore.com