Potential Contraflow Bike Lane at Blackheath Standard

  • Sarah Ellis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013
      Some of you may remember that at the end of last year there were proposals discussed on this list concerning pedestrian improvements at Blackheath Standard.  Living close to there I have noticed many commuter cyclists who are travelling eastwards along Vanbrugh Park and wish to continue travelling eastwards along Old Dover Road taking a short cut across the pedestrian crossing outside Barclays Bank.  At the time of the pedestrian improvements a suggestion was put forward to the Council that a contraflow bike lane was put in to allow that manoeuvre to be legal and easier.  I am now in touch with the Council again and hope to meet their representative for a site visit next month.  I would be pleased to hear from anyone who does that journey regularly with any views.

      I know the next few sentences will sound very nerdy (and there's nothing with wrong with nerdy) but on Friday 12 July I sat at the location and counted the number of cyclists who took that short cut as well as the number who cycled the whole way round the gyratory.  From 5.30 pm until 7.00 pm there were 17 cyclists who took the short cut and 11 who went the whole way round.  I plan to repeat the bike count on the next two Fridays - 19th and 26th July and if anyone would like to join me for a couple of hours sitting in the sun you're welcome for some or all of that time.