Re: [greenwichcyclists] Re: Bus Lanes, ongoing debate: Party?

  • david.r.thompson@uk.pwcglobal.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2001
      Memo from David R. Thompson of PricewaterhouseCoopers

      -------------------- Start of message text --------------------

      I think the idea of these stickers is excellent - perhaps we should get
      some made?

      gewardill <edward@...> on 08/12/2001 20:25:18

      Please respond to greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      cc:

      Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Re: Bus Lanes, ongoing debate: Party?

      Lots of interesting arguments, but how do you move things forward?
      If educating the motorists is the answer, then how do you actually do
      it? Where do you start? Angry cyclists yelling at them won't work,
      and motorists are hardly likely to be buying Forrester's book.

      I think the "cyclists who are also motorists" have the ideal medium
      at their disposal...

      Laugh if you want, but here's a simple idea that's just occurred to
      me...

      Horse riders who are also motorists have been educating other
      motorists for years - they carry car bumper / window stickers such
      as "I slow down for horses". The message doesn't just mean "Lookout,
      I may brake suddenly", it also means "You should slow down for horses
      too". I have no evidence to suggest that these stickers have helped
      to improve motorists attitudes towards horses, but I like to think
      they have.

      So what about a pro-cycling car bumper sticker such as "I give way to
      cyclists" or "Give cyclists more room!" ("Give cyclists a break!" is
      probably best avoided)

      Barry told me recently that 50% of LCC members own cars, and it's
      clear from the recent emails that quite a few GCC members fall into
      this category. I don't know how many LCC members there are, but I
      suspect that 50% sporting pro-cycling bumper / window stickers on
      their cars would be a more powerful message than 100% sporting that
      little green LCC mudguard sticker on their bikes. What's more, it
      would be a 2 way message, helping to educate the entrenched cyclist
      that not all cars drivers are out to kill them.

      Edward - cyclist, motorist, horse rider bla bla bla

      behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

      telecommunications systems.
      computer.
    • Joyce Simmonds
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
        The London Accident Prevention Council have produced materials aimed both at traffic (mainly heavy lorries) and cyclists.  This includes a sticker, which can be used on cycles and as a bumper sticker.

        "This reflective sticker  can be attached to jacket bags etc"-- suggest also
        car bumpers -- £13.00 per pack of 50   (size11"x2.5") and is available from

         <mailto:bcronin@...> .

        I realise that it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it is available.  There are also dashboard stickers available.

        Joyce