Cycle ride: Darent Valley, Sunday 7 July 2013

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013
      Where: Darent Valley
      When: Sunday 7 July 2013
      Meet: 10:00 @ General Wolfe statue, Greenwich Park (by observatory)

      Brought to you by the Dog & Bell Crew, a midsummer ride through the Darent Valley of northwest Kent, starting and ending in Greenwich Park. This is one of my regular routes, but I haven't done it since November. I'm keen to do a number of middle-distance rides in the next couple of weeks, as training for Dunwich (20-21 July). Possibly mid-week afterworkers. Let me know if you're interested.

      Route: Greenwich Park - Eltham - Chislehurst - Orpington - Badger's Mount - Darent Valley to Eynsford - Farningham - Horton Kirby - Sutton - Hawley - Crayford - Erith - Thames Path. Feeding and watering stop at The Bull in Horton Kirby.

      A slow climb to the top of the North Downs by Badgers Mount followed by quiet country lanes through the Darent Valley to Sutton-at-Hone, road to Crayford and Erith, with the aid of an orbit-skimming manoeuvre in the gravitational well of Dartford, and finally a 115 furlong stretch along the Thames Path back to Greenwich.

      You are advised to bring a clothes peg for use near Crossness on the Thames Path if the wind has a southerly component. Bring tools, a puncture repair kit, a spare inner tube or two, and lights.

      Total distance ~350 furlongs.

      RSVP, but it's OK to turn up unannounced on the day.

      Francis
      (07840 191336 - no texts please)

      journalist, writer and physicist
      telephone: +44 7840 191336