Ride to Crossness June 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28 5:42 AM

      Half a dozen cyclists including new faces from Catford and Hackney set off from CSG at a good pace favoured by a following wind to reach Crossness and enter the site from the Thames Path. Inside the grounds of this Victorian pumping station we saw working steam models, veteran cars and the £5 entry was justified by the impressive progress the steam volunteers have made to the Museum of Sewage (plus modern conveniences), the downstairs cafe, and most importantly the beginning of work to restore a second beam engine to power. Some of us made the acquaintance of the South London Meccano Society and their ingenious working models. The return to Greenwich was tough into the freshening wind and I know of one person who ducked out and took the train from Abbey Wood. Thanks Sarah for back-marking.