Of cyclists, black cabs, baseball bats and morbid obesity

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Early yesterday evening, on Wimpole Street, London W1, one of our number of five cyclists was threatened by a baseball bat-wielding black cab driver who objected to us taking the lane around a busy junction on a narrow road during the evening rush hour. The incident was immediately phoned through to the police, who met us on Paddington Street and took details, including the vehicle registration number of the cab and description of the driver.

      The officers informed us that while the carrying of a baseball bat is not in itself an offence, if questioned the driver is obliged to justify his carrying of the bat in the cab. Threatening violence is of course a criminal offence. Unless the driver can prove that he was on his way to a baseball game or practice, he may not have a leg to stand on. In any case, the bat was antique, coated with a deep red varnish. I doubt that it has ever been used in a sporting capacity.

      Earlier in the day I was nearly run down by a black cab. After my shouting out (without expletives, at that point), the driver slowed down and hurled abuse at me through his nearside window.

      “You fat c**t! You’re a fucking fat c**t!!”, screamed the cab driver. This was somewhat ironic, given that I have a body mass index in the middle of the healthy range, the driver is morbidly obese, and at the time he was chomping on a Greggs pastie whilst emitting a flurry of puff pastry flakes over himself and the upholstery of his vehicle.

      I didn’t get the cab registration number, so the driver will get away with this one. I just hope that he chokes to death on his next pie (though not while the vehicle is moving).

      journalist, writer and physicist
      telephone: +44 7840 191336
      website: sedgemore.com

    • Stephen Craven
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013

        Francis, that just goes to demonstrate the difference in vocabulary between a journalist and a cab driver (as well as the health benefits of cycling).

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
          Hi Steven
          I am very sorry to hear of your altercation with a black cab driver, as you know I have proudly driven a black cab since 1967
          also I am a cyclist who if I can sometimes ride with the Greenwich group I do and enjoy their company,  charming people they are.
          I am somewhat sceptical that the individual in question was a licenced london  cabby, TFL have recently been carrying out a
          stop campaign on all cabs including black cabs and have detained many drivers who are not licenced and driving old black taxis, this person is undoubtedly one of these, If I have your permission I would like to inform the LTDA licenced London Taxi drivers association of your experience and hope they can take it up with TFL, this type of behaviour is totally unexceptable. I now have a camera in my cab for just such occasions and will be getting one on my helmet when cycling, did anyone obtain evidence of the incident if they did, they should forward it to the taxis and private hire section at TFL.
          Thanks

            David Baker

          To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
          From: stephen@...
          Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:19:53 +0100

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            David

            It was I and not Stephen who reported the incidents with black cab drivers.

            Nothing will come of my own encounter, earlier in the day, as I didn't get the cab number. As for the baseball bat threat in Upper Wimpole Street, this is now the subject of a police investigation, so we'll take it from there.

            Francis

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
              Hi Francis
              I am equally concerned if it was you, I hope they apprehend this miscreant, he gives all of us a bad name.

              Thanks

                David