Re: [greenwichcyclists] RideLondon Freecycle led Rides 2013

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
      I may come to the Lewisham Cyclists meeting on Wednesday, in which case we can talk about it then.

      Coordinating the Greenwich and Lewisham rides makes sense, in my view. But whatever we do, it would as Jane says be useful to coordinate the marshalling before the event.

      Francis

      On 16 Jun 13, at 08:02, Jane Davis <saoirse.davis@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I will lead a feeder from Lewisham, probably starting at Bell Green. If I am remembering correctly, when we did this before, the feeders from Lewisham met at Greenwich and we took quite a huge group from Cutty Sark Gardens to Tower Bridge. Are we planning to do this again? Or do people think it would be better to keep Lewisham and Greenwich rides separate? If we do plan to join, then I think it would be a good idea to get all ride leaders and marshals together beforehand (I don't remember this happening before, but maybe I missed it). I was a marshal and it took a lot of riding up and down the line, junction corking, liaising with a few irritated motorists, etc. I seem to remember at least one other marshal getting into a bit of a heated argument with a stopped motorist at one junction. It was also quite a challenge getting everyone over Tower Bridge. We did fine, and the participants really enjoyed it. And I think the phenomenon of about 200 cyclists, all ages, bikes, etc going over Tower Bridge was wonderful. I was riding up and down the group at that point, (a few little ones (and sometimes not so little) kept drifting on to the other carrigeway) and it was a really terrific sight. But I do think we should meet up beforehand, to make sure we all know what to expect, best way to handle possible situations and problems etc) if we are planning to join up at Greenwich and repeat it.
      > The other option, is for the Lewisham feeder to go it's own sweet way along roughly route 21, maybe and aim to get to Tower Bridge at a different time. Or we could use London Bridge and approach the route from the city. What do people think? Lewisham Cyclists are going to finalise our plans at our Wednesday meeting, so comments before then appreciated.
      > Best Wishes, Jane

      journalist, writer and physicist
      telephone: +44 7840 191336
      website: sedgemore.com