Re: [greenwichcyclists] RideLondon Freecycle led Rides 2013

  • Jane Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
      Hello,
      I will lead a feeder from Lewisham, probably starting at Bell Green. If I am remembering correctly, when we did this before, the feeders from Lewisham met at Greenwich and we took quite a huge group from Cutty Sark Gardens to Tower Bridge. Are we planning to do this again? Or do people think it would be better to keep Lewisham and Greenwich rides separate? If we do plan to join, then I think it would be a good idea to get all ride leaders and marshals together beforehand (I don't remember this happening before, but maybe I missed it). I was a marshal and it took a lot of riding up and down the line, junction corking, liaising with a few irritated motorists, etc. I seem to remember at least one other marshal getting into a bit of a heated argument with a stopped motorist at one junction. It was also quite a challenge getting everyone over Tower Bridge. We did fine, and the participants really enjoyed it. And I think the phenomenon of about 200 cyclists, all ages, bikes, etc going over Tower Bridge was wonderful. I was riding up and down the group at that point, (a few little ones (and sometimes not so little) kept drifting on to the other carrigeway) and it was a really terrific sight. But I do think we should meet up beforehand, to make sure we all know what to expect, best way to handle possible situations and problems etc) if we are planning to join up at Greenwich and repeat it.
      The other option, is for the Lewisham feeder to go it's own sweet way along roughly route 21, maybe and aim to get to Tower Bridge at a different time. Or we could use London Bridge and approach the route from the city. What do people think? Lewisham Cyclists are going to finalise our plans at our Wednesday meeting, so comments before then appreciated.
      Best Wishes, Jane

      On 14 Jun 2013, at 01:03, "Stephen Craven" <stephen@...> wrote:

      > Dear all
      >
      > Thank you Anthony for forwarding the LCC request for ride details. I did
      > offer to coordinate the Greenwich feeders this year.
      >
      > I don't immediately have access to our e-mails about the 2011 feeder rides
      > (having changed computers since then) but looked at the minutes from July
      > 2011 on the GC website. Anthony and I led the ride from Eltham, and Teri &
      > Gareth from Woolwich, meeting up in CSG. Francis also led one from Grove
      > Park but that would come under Lewisham.
      >
      > The times on the spreadsheet are given as 9.15 Eltham, 9.30 Woolwich, 11.00
      > Greenwich. Given that they want feeders to arrive Tower Hill no later than
      > 11.30, we need to aim to leave Greenwich at 10.30 given the slow pace of
      > these large groups. In practice that probably means advertising it as 10.00
      > to allow half an hour for checks, instructions etc. So do we say advertise
      > both Eltham and Woolwich as 9.00 (actually leaving by 9.15)?
      >
      > Could those who acted as ride leaders/backups last time each please let me
      > know whether you wish to do so again this time, and whether you would prefer
      > to return mid-afternoon or early evening. Can you let me know by next
      > Wednesday (19th) so I can reply to LCC before I go on holiday from 21 June.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Stephen

    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
        I may come to the Lewisham Cyclists meeting on Wednesday, in which case we can talk about it then.

        Coordinating the Greenwich and Lewisham rides makes sense, in my view. But whatever we do, it would as Jane says be useful to coordinate the marshalling before the event.

        Francis

        On 16 Jun 13, at 08:02, Jane Davis <saoirse.davis@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I will lead a feeder from Lewisham, probably starting at Bell Green. If I am remembering correctly, when we did this before, the feeders from Lewisham met at Greenwich and we took quite a huge group from Cutty Sark Gardens to Tower Bridge. Are we planning to do this again? Or do people think it would be better to keep Lewisham and Greenwich rides separate? If we do plan to join, then I think it would be a good idea to get all ride leaders and marshals together beforehand (I don't remember this happening before, but maybe I missed it). I was a marshal and it took a lot of riding up and down the line, junction corking, liaising with a few irritated motorists, etc. I seem to remember at least one other marshal getting into a bit of a heated argument with a stopped motorist at one junction. It was also quite a challenge getting everyone over Tower Bridge. We did fine, and the participants really enjoyed it. And I think the phenomenon of about 200 cyclists, all ages, bikes, etc going over Tower Bridge was wonderful. I was riding up and down the group at that point, (a few little ones (and sometimes not so little) kept drifting on to the other carrigeway) and it was a really terrific sight. But I do think we should meet up beforehand, to make sure we all know what to expect, best way to handle possible situations and problems etc) if we are planning to join up at Greenwich and repeat it.
        > The other option, is for the Lewisham feeder to go it's own sweet way along roughly route 21, maybe and aim to get to Tower Bridge at a different time. Or we could use London Bridge and approach the route from the city. What do people think? Lewisham Cyclists are going to finalise our plans at our Wednesday meeting, so comments before then appreciated.
        > Best Wishes, Jane

        journalist, writer and physicist
        telephone: +44 7840 191336
        website: sedgemore.com