RideLondon Freecycle led Rides 2013

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013

    From: Stewart Dring [mailto:stewart@...]
    Sent: 13 June 2013 16:17
    To: Ride London
    Cc: Cycling Projects; Charlie Lloyd; Matt Mallinder; Stewart Dring; Thomas Marshall-Potter
    Subject: RideLondon Freecycle led Rides 2013

    Dear all,

    Thanks for your patience on this one as we have had many enquires about this year’s rides to the RideLondon  (Skyride as was). We have been in discussion with the RideLondon organisers about supporting their event and riders with led rides into the Freecycle event on Saturday 3rd August.

    The format/route is broadly the same as previous years - central circuit Mall to Tower hill with a cycling festival in Green Park . They have picked up the lessons from previous years especially around some of the bottle-necking and slow progress. They have made amendments to the route and crossing to aim to vastly improve this and the circuit is open from 9.00am until 4.00pm. There is a Guinness world record – longest line of cyclists happening at 9am but this won’t affect us.

    There was also an error on their website that gave the impression that Helmets were required. Just to clear up any confusion helmets are not required for the Freecycle event.

    Additionally there is a Grand Prix event running from 5.00pm until 7.30 featuring a series of criterium races around the Mall circuit. And I'm sure you'll be aware that the RideLondon is a weekend event with a 100 mile sportive on the Sunday.

    Where do LCC and LCC groups fit in? To assist riders who are not as confident on London's roads and to encourage more people to attend the event and ultimately to encourage people to begin to cycle locally and into central London outside of the Freecycle, the organisers would like us to repeat our successful led rides that we have delivered to previous SkyRides and Freewheel - over 3000 riders per year. The rides have become an integral part of the event and for many the best part of the day. We would love for you to help organise a ride again this year.

    Number of rides:

    RideLondon would like us to assist them with the following:

    -          1 ride from every borough except Westminster and City – where groups had put on more than one ride per borough we would encourage you to join rides together and/or consider how multiple rides would impact on marshal numbers that you have access to.

    -          1 set of return rides after the Freecycle

    -          1 set of return rides after the grand prix–– these could be joint rides with drop off in 1, 2 or 3 boroughs

    Expenses:

    Again there is £160 funding for expenses to pass onto local groups -

    Timings:

    Route is open 9-4pm. They are keen that our rides arrive on circuit by 11.30

    Bibs etc:

    Leaders and marshals will receive unique branded tabards, event kit and access to the Marshal Zone for secure parking and refreshments

    Start, Leader details required:

    As you'll have no doubt spotted the event being on Aug 3rd is not too far away and we're keen that we finalise ride details asap so that we can publicise the rides to the general public in the wider RideLondon communications.

    The good news is that collectively we've got a wealth of experience with many on the start locations, routes and timings having been repeated for the last few editions.

    Marshal recruitment

    We have insisted that LCC take over the marshal recruitment as well as the leader recruitment as this aspect having been previously fulfilled by the organiser has created issues. Our desire in conjunction with yourselves and LCC network is to provide you with the maximum number of marshals to support your rides and in turn provide safety and support to your ride participants.

    What now? Actions required:

    To enable us to confirm details with the RideLondon organisers so that the web entries can open at the beginning of July we're asking all if you could provide the following using last years format as a starting point. Please see spreadsheet attached with provisional details for all rides. Deadline  is Monday 24th June.

    - confirm that your group is able to provide 1 ride in

    - confirm that your group is able to provide 1 return ride

    - confirm whether you group could assist in an additional 'bus stop' style ride after the Grand Prix at 7.30pm

    - confirm /amend start location

    - confirm/amend start time -bearing in mind the desire to be on route by 11.30

    - confirm/amend contact name and contact details

    - confirm ride leader/assistant ride leader and contact details

    - confirm names/contact details of marshals that you already have

    - state required numbers of marshals that you might need to assist with your ride – we’ll then look to recruit

    Spreadsheet attached:

    There is a list of all of the rides from the 2011 Skyride with start details ride length etc. There is also a tab for each of the rides with the names of marshals and leaders. Please amend accordingly with any amends/ confirmation of the items listed above.

    Clear as mud?

    The team of Matt, Stewart and Charlie are happy to talk through this info on the phone or via email- whatever suits you. Please e-mail ridelondon@... or phone the office on 0207 233 9310

    Thanks in advance and apologies for the short notice.

    Stewart

    Stewart Dring

    Projects Officer

    Tel 020 7234 9310 ext 208

    Mob 07909 337672

    Sign up as a member today and help make London safe and inviting for cyclists
    http://lcc.org.uk/pages/joining-options

    Sign up as a member today and help make London safe and inviting for cyclists
    http://lcc.org.uk/pages/joining-options

  • Jane Davis
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
      Hello,
      I will lead a feeder from Lewisham, probably starting at Bell Green. If I am remembering correctly, when we did this before, the feeders from Lewisham met at Greenwich and we took quite a huge group from Cutty Sark Gardens to Tower Bridge. Are we planning to do this again? Or do people think it would be better to keep Lewisham and Greenwich rides separate? If we do plan to join, then I think it would be a good idea to get all ride leaders and marshals together beforehand (I don't remember this happening before, but maybe I missed it). I was a marshal and it took a lot of riding up and down the line, junction corking, liaising with a few irritated motorists, etc. I seem to remember at least one other marshal getting into a bit of a heated argument with a stopped motorist at one junction. It was also quite a challenge getting everyone over Tower Bridge. We did fine, and the participants really enjoyed it. And I think the phenomenon of about 200 cyclists, all ages, bikes, etc going over Tower Bridge was wonderful. I was riding up and down the group at that point, (a few little ones (and sometimes not so little) kept drifting on to the other carrigeway) and it was a really terrific sight. But I do think we should meet up beforehand, to make sure we all know what to expect, best way to handle possible situations and problems etc) if we are planning to join up at Greenwich and repeat it.
      The other option, is for the Lewisham feeder to go it's own sweet way along roughly route 21, maybe and aim to get to Tower Bridge at a different time. Or we could use London Bridge and approach the route from the city. What do people think? Lewisham Cyclists are going to finalise our plans at our Wednesday meeting, so comments before then appreciated.
      Best Wishes, Jane

      On 14 Jun 2013, at 01:03, "Stephen Craven" <stephen@...> wrote:

      > Dear all
      >
      > Thank you Anthony for forwarding the LCC request for ride details. I did
      > offer to coordinate the Greenwich feeders this year.
      >
      > I don't immediately have access to our e-mails about the 2011 feeder rides
      > (having changed computers since then) but looked at the minutes from July
      > 2011 on the GC website. Anthony and I led the ride from Eltham, and Teri &
      > Gareth from Woolwich, meeting up in CSG. Francis also led one from Grove
      > Park but that would come under Lewisham.
      >
      > The times on the spreadsheet are given as 9.15 Eltham, 9.30 Woolwich, 11.00
      > Greenwich. Given that they want feeders to arrive Tower Hill no later than
      > 11.30, we need to aim to leave Greenwich at 10.30 given the slow pace of
      > these large groups. In practice that probably means advertising it as 10.00
      > to allow half an hour for checks, instructions etc. So do we say advertise
      > both Eltham and Woolwich as 9.00 (actually leaving by 9.15)?
      >
      > Could those who acted as ride leaders/backups last time each please let me
      > know whether you wish to do so again this time, and whether you would prefer
      > to return mid-afternoon or early evening. Can you let me know by next
      > Wednesday (19th) so I can reply to LCC before I go on holiday from 21 June.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Stephen

    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
        I may come to the Lewisham Cyclists meeting on Wednesday, in which case we can talk about it then.

        Coordinating the Greenwich and Lewisham rides makes sense, in my view. But whatever we do, it would as Jane says be useful to coordinate the marshalling before the event.

        Francis

        On 16 Jun 13, at 08:02, Jane Davis <saoirse.davis@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I will lead a feeder from Lewisham, probably starting at Bell Green. If I am remembering correctly, when we did this before, the feeders from Lewisham met at Greenwich and we took quite a huge group from Cutty Sark Gardens to Tower Bridge. Are we planning to do this again? Or do people think it would be better to keep Lewisham and Greenwich rides separate? If we do plan to join, then I think it would be a good idea to get all ride leaders and marshals together beforehand (I don't remember this happening before, but maybe I missed it). I was a marshal and it took a lot of riding up and down the line, junction corking, liaising with a few irritated motorists, etc. I seem to remember at least one other marshal getting into a bit of a heated argument with a stopped motorist at one junction. It was also quite a challenge getting everyone over Tower Bridge. We did fine, and the participants really enjoyed it. And I think the phenomenon of about 200 cyclists, all ages, bikes, etc going over Tower Bridge was wonderful. I was riding up and down the group at that point, (a few little ones (and sometimes not so little) kept drifting on to the other carrigeway) and it was a really terrific sight. But I do think we should meet up beforehand, to make sure we all know what to expect, best way to handle possible situations and problems etc) if we are planning to join up at Greenwich and repeat it.
        > The other option, is for the Lewisham feeder to go it's own sweet way along roughly route 21, maybe and aim to get to Tower Bridge at a different time. Or we could use London Bridge and approach the route from the city. What do people think? Lewisham Cyclists are going to finalise our plans at our Wednesday meeting, so comments before then appreciated.
        > Best Wishes, Jane

        journalist, writer and physicist
        telephone: +44 7840 191336
        website: sedgemore.com