Driver jailed after fatal collision with cyclist in Deptford

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2013
      Metropolitan Police Press Bureau says:

      A driver who killed a teenage cyclist and callously drove away from the
      scene of the collision on two occasions has been jailed for four years.

      Barry Normah, 28 (2.8.84) of Watergate Street, Deptford SE8, was found
      guilty at the Old Bailey on 18 March 2013 of causing death by dangerous
      driving and failing to stop at the scene of an accident following a trial.

      Today (24 May 2013) he was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court to 4 years'
      imprisonment, and was disqualified from driving for 5 years with an extended
      re-test to be taken before driving again.

      Police were called at approx 17:00hrs on Friday 23 March 2012 to Deptford
      Church Street, at the junction with Bronze Street SE8, to reports of a
      cyclist in collision with a silver Audi car on a pedestrian crossing.

      The cyclist, 17-year-old Olatunji Johnson Adeyanju - known as 'TJ' - was
      taken to Kings College Hospital but he died there later the same evening.

      TJ, from the local area, had been crossing Deptford Church Street at a
      designated pedestrian crossing when Normah struck him with the Audi A3 he
      was driving.

      Following the collision Normah drove away before turning round at traffic
      lights and returning to the scene. Normah stopped on the opposite
      carriageway from where TJ was lying before driving away once again.

      The car was later found abandoned in Watergate Street SE8.

      On Saturday 24 March 2012 Normah was arrested and later charged on 13
      September 2012 with causing death by dangerous driving and failing to stop
      at the scene of an accident.

      Detective Sergeant Mick Woollard, of the Road Death Investigation Unit,
      said:

      "It is a tragedy when such a young life is lost in these circumstances and
      my thoughts are with TJ's family. TJ was crossing the road at a designated
      crossing point - this should have been a safe place.

      "Barry Normah had two opportunities to stop at the scene and try and help TJ
      but he chose to drive away and leave him in the road dying.

      "The Road Death Investigation Unit will examine all road deaths in the
      Metropolitan Police district and will prosecute those who commit criminal
      offences."

      + Solicitors have issued the following on behalf of the family:

      Following the sentencing at Woolwich Crown Court today, the victim's uncle
      and guardian Steven Gisanrin said: "On 23 March last year my nephew,
      Olatunji, was tragically killed when he was hit by a car being driven by
      Barry Normah as he crossed the road on his bike.

      "There are no words to express the pain we have suffered since that day and
      we are not only angry that Mr Normah chose to compound our grief by denying
      his actions and putting us through the ordeal of a trial, but also extremely
      disappointed in the length of the sentence he has been given," he said. "Now
      that the criminal proceedings against Mr Normah have concluded, we as a
      family can hopefully begin to move on with our lives.

      "TJ, as he was known to his many friends, was a popular, charming and
      exceptional young man with huge potential," he said. "TJ's warm cheeky smile
      and friendly nature endeared him to everyone he met and he was loved and
      respected by all who knew him.

      "Although he will be sadly missed, we as a family take comfort in the fact
      that he has left us with so many positive memories, and his contribution to
      our lives will not be forgotten.

      "If any good is to come from the tragic death of Olatunji then more needs to
      be done to promote safer cycling in the capital," he said. "Residents in
      Deptford have often complained about how unsafe they feel whilst cycling in
      the area and are again calling for more designated cycle lanes to be
      installed, particularly on and around Creek Road."

      NOT FOR PUBLICATION: Images of TJ Adeyanju and Barry Normah are available
      from www.met.police.uk/pressbureau

      The solicitors' statement was issued by Fentons Solicitors LLP,
      www.fentons.co.uk. For further information please contact Peter Kirby, PR &
      communications manager, on 020 7092 2848 or at peter.kirby@...

      For further information please contact the MPS Press Bureau on 020 7230 2171
      or visit our website at www.met.police.uk/pressbureau

      Please do not reply to this email address unless specifically asked. Emails
      should be sent to press.bureau@...

      Follow us on Twitter @MetPoliceUK
      'Like' us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/metpoliceuk