Bicycle Film Society May 13th Show and other events

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2013

      Bicycle Film Society May 13th Show and other events

      The next show of the Hackney Bicycle Film Society will be Pédaleur de charme.

      This was Hugo Koblet‘s nickname (He won Tour de France in 1951 and Giro d’Italia in 1950).

      Koblet was the first non-Italian to win the Giro d’Italia in 1950 beating Gino Bartali and Alfredo Martini.

      Koblet was known as the “Pedaler of Charm” because of his elegant position on the bike and his smooth pedalling style. The Swiss rider also kept a comb, wet sponge and cologne in the pockets of his yellow jerseys so he could look and smell good at the end of stages.

      In the “golden age of cycling”, the two Swiss riders, Hugo Koblet and Ferdi Kübler were a powerful duo for Switzerland as they competed against the giants like Fausto Coppi, Gino Bartali, and Fiorenzo Magni

      This docudrama tells his story.

      Trailer: http://youtu.be/q-zZ3vmLtQ4

      The main film will be preceded as usual by shorts but this month we have not one but three local film makers showing their films the first Peter Georgallou, well known to the society as he regularly attends our shows will be showing his film 'From the Sticks. The second is ‘Cycle London' by Marcus Tyler an experienced photographer and film maker whose friend Alicia a member suggested we show his film. Lastly we have Orange Fever about cycling from Dalston to Amsterdam

      On events there a two upcoming events which we would love you to be involved in or attend the first is the London Velonotte 2013 coming to London via Moscow and Istanbul on the 22 June. We a looking for Ride Stewards to help out on the night. We are also looking for people to be involved in Notting Hill Carnival at which we have been asked to provide more wacky bicycle creations so if you are interested in being involved in either of these events get in touch.

      Keep on cycling

      Adam

      Films shown in Bloomsbury not Hackney but then we are internationalists and do not believe in borders
      Unless otherwise stated all events occur at

      Calthorpe Arms,

      252 Grays Inn Road

      London WC1x 8JR
      and start prompt at 7:30