FRIDAY POST - weekly news from LCC

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 12:26 AM

      Hello LCC Borough Group Co-ordinators,

      Please share the following information with your groups.

      Many thanks

      London Cycling Campaign Team

      Tel 020 7234 9310

      LONDON CYCLIST MAGAZINE goes weekly, monthly and quarterly

      This spring sees substantial changes to our electronic and printed communications. On Thurs 16 May, we're launching the London Cyclist Weekly e-newsletter (see attached sample), a digest of the best cycling news, rides, events, product news and social media stories, sent out to all our 40,000 supporters.

      We're very keen to highlight local group rides in the 'Rides & Events' section, so please post your rides to our www.lcc.org.uk/events or send us a link to your website rides.  At present, any member can post rides or events to our website by visiting lcc.org.uk/events. Note, you have to register your email with our website first, but this only takes a minute via www.lcc.org.uk/sign_in. We're in the process of updating the Events section of our website so it's quicker and easier to post events and search for them, but please be patient as this won't be ready until June.

      On 30 May, we're launching the London Cyclist Monthly e-newsletter, an in-depth look at London cycling, featuring a similar line-up of comment, features, routes and local group news as is currently found in London Cyclist magazine. There's a section specifically for local group news, and we ask you to send us any stories, either links to your websites, or text documents telling us what's happening in your borough.

      Finally - and importantly - from September 2013 London Cyclist magazine will go quarterly, being published four times per year instead of six. We're making this change for two reasons:

      (i) Our members and supporters now expect high-quality information from many more sources than they did only a few years ago: websites, smartphones, tablet computers, and so on. Making the magazine quarterly will free up resources to ensure we reach members and supporters through these channels, and can stay up to date with the latest technology;

      (ii) The costs of producing the magazine are increasing significantly. Despite tough procurement deals with printers and mailing houses, there are many costs out of our control (such as Royal Mail postage and paper), which increase above the rate of inflation every year. Electronic publishing allows us to provide the same rich content to our members in a much more cost-effective way.

      We're confident the changes will result in all our members receiving more and better information from LCC.  In particular the new London Cyclist Monthly e-newsletter will give our borough groups a more frequent platform, with a bigger audience, to tell members and supporters about their local activities.

      DATE FOR YOUR DIARY - Local Groups Forum next week

      The local groups forum meeting is at 6.30pm on 9 May at the LCC office. The agenda will be posted to the lccbc e-group. We would like every local group to be represented at the local group forum meetings, so if your group coordinator cannot attend this meeting, please try to send a delegate.

      BIKEWEEK – please register your events

      Bikeweek is 15-23 June. Please register your events online here www.bikeweek.org.uk  as well as www.lcc.org.uk.

      PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE – certificate attached

      London Cycling Campaign has public liability insurance for events run by us and by our local groups. The cover is for up to £5 million in any one claim. A copy of the insurance confirmation is attached to this email and in the Files section of the lccbc email list   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lccbc/files/Insurance/

      LCC HQ CONTACTS

      Just in case you didn’t pick up the message in the last three Friday Post emails: we will not be filling Gerhard’s post immediately.  This is because we intend to increase capacity in the campaigns team as well as fill this vacancy, depending on funding, and the precise nature of each position will depend on how many we can recruit. We hope to be able to confirm plans at the end of the month. That does mean that servicing of local groups in the interim will be at a lower level than normal, but LCC will of course continue to maintain basic communications and liaison (a list of contact names & email addresses is at the bottom of this email).

      In the meantime Charlie Lloyd is taking over the infrastructure brief within the staff team, moving up from three to fours days a week to do so. In particular he will be the staff member supporting the LCC Junctions Review Group.

      Campaigns/infrastructure

      Charlie Lloyd (4 days a week)

      charlie@...

      Magazine borough news

      Selena Calder (2 days week)

      selena@...

      Events

      Stuart Dring & Anna Gudaniec (5 days a week)

      cycling projects@...

      Ordering LCC branded marketing materials

      Lucy Cooper (5 days a week)

      lucyc@...

      Miscellaneous

      Lu Everett (5 days a week)

      info@... or 020 7234 9310

      Lu Everett

      London Cycling Campaign

      020 7234 9310 ext 209

      Vote here for your best in cycling products, projects and champions.

      Sign up as a member today and help make London safe and inviting for cyclists
      http://lcc.org.uk/pages/joining-options

      Message 2 of 3 , May 18 1:55 AM

      Hello LCC Borough Group Co-ordinators,

      Please share this week’s news with your borough group.

      With thanks,

      London Cycling Campaign Team

      LONDON CYCLIST Weekly/Monthly – is now live

      We hope by now you've received the first of the new London Cyclist Weekly email newsletter. This newsletter contains a link to the ‘Events’ section of the LCC website, so if you would like details of your rides and events to be widely publicised, don’t forget to upload them to the ‘Events’ section of the LCC website, which will be emailed to the 42,000 on the LCC mailing list.

      As explained last week, there will be a new London Cyclist Monthly version too. The first London Cyclist Monthly will be emailed on Thurs 30 May, and then on the first Thursday of each month, from Thurs 4 July. The London Cyclist Monthly will include a map showing all the London boroughs, which will link to every local borough group website. The purpose of this is to drive visitors your borough group’s website, so if you want to take best advantage of this, please make sure you put new stories on your local group website at the beginning of each month.

      If you have any problems uploading your rides events to the ‘Events’ section of the website, please email mike@...

      ACTIVISM CO-ORDINATOR job vacancy – deadline Tuesday 28th May A new position in LCC (comparable to Gerhard’s previous post) has been advertised via LCC and the Guardian. All the details of this and 3 other job vacancies are on the website here http://lcc.org.uk/pages/current-vacancies. Until the Activism Co-ordinator has been recruited, servicing of local groups will to be at a lower level than normal, but LCC will of course continue to maintain basic communications and liaison. Charlie Lloyd is working an additional day a week for the interim & is the staff member supporting the LCC Junctions Review Group & the Local Groups forum.

      MARKETING & INCOME GENERATION – 3 new job vacancies We have 3 vacancies within the marketing & income generation team. One of these posts is maternity cover for Lucy Cooper, and the other two posts are new part time positions. All the details, including job description, deadlines and interview dates are online here http://lcc.org.uk/pages/current-vacancies.

      MAGAZINE BOROUGH INSERTS – deadline 10am, Tues 28th May. Please email your borough inserts to selena@... and copy in mike@... in the format you’d like it presented, ideally as PDF rather than just text. The borough insert should be a maximum of two sides of A4, and will be printed in black and white. Please note that it may not be possible to print borough inserts received after 10am on Tuesday.

      POLICY FORUM WORKSHOP – 6th June. Sign up for the Policy Forum Workshop on 6th June, which aims to think about possible themes/approaches for LCC's 2014 local election campaigning, which we can then discuss further at our late June Policy Forum meeting and pass on to the Board & Campaigners Conference. There'll be short lead offs from several speakers about recent campaign experiences, leading into a discussion of what key themes we might want to have, and how to go about a ward-based campaign. It's on Thursday 6th June at 6pm at Westminster University 's Marylebone Campus - so no clash with the recently announced Hackney Cycling Conference earlier that day. Let Rachel Aldred know if you can come either by email rachel@...  or register here - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16JQku7TgVcCcUT4yphaJricCa9w6NiZDLEjyjt9jV5g/viewform.

      PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE – certificate attached London Cycling Campaign has public liability insurance for events run by us and by our local groups. The cover is for up to £5 million in any one claim. A copy of the insurance confirmation is attached to this email and in the Files section of the lccbc email list  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lccbc/files/Insurance/

      LCC OFFICE CONTACTS

      Campaigns/infrastructure

      Charlie Lloyd (4 days a week)

      charlie@...