Fwd: [Southwark Cyclists] Royal Naval College

  • Roger Stocker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Sally Eva <bobsallyeva@...>
      Date: 15 April 2013 07:38
      Subject: [Southwark Cyclists] Royal Naval College
      To: Southwark Cyclists <southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com>

      Another good thing on Sunday was bikes in the RNC now Greenwich/Trinity
      college. I understood that bikes could not use this route but there were
      certainly lots in there.

      Anyone know if the rules on this have changed? Certainly the Thames Path
      is not cyclable at this point because of its narrow width and the hordes
      of walkers. The cycle route seems to be signposted onto the main road
      from the Trafalgar pub. We walked our bikes along the river and saw,
      through the fence, lots of leisure-type cyclists inside the college grounds

      I'm a member of greenwich cyclists email group and get their mails but
      it won't let me post so I can't ask there

      We were on our way west along the Thames Path. We took the Clipper to
      the O2 -- they had cycle parking for four bikes and offered no
      difficulties about taking the bikes but were not dealing very well with
      the hordes of day trippers -- and then cycled back. The path is open now
      all the way to Greenwich but we picked up a puncture on some very rough
      ground.

      BWs

      Sally

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

        Hello Sally,

        We negotiated a through route for cyclists in the Old Royal Naval College two years ago; it’s open 0800 to 1800 every day. Please go onto our website http://www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk/

        and apply to join the Yahoo group.

        Kind regards

        Anthony

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
          Hi Anthony, thanks very much. Next time I shall look for it.

          I think I am a member. I've been corresponding with Tom Crispin who says that as far as he's concerned I can post on the group and he doesn't understand what the problem has been.

          How does the route work? In through main gates and then down to RNC path along the fence? Well done anyhow because neither the main road nor the walkers path please me much. A long time ago, we got caught by the incoming tide walking along the Thames Path in front of the RNC and had to jump onto the base of the fence to keep our feet dry

          BWs

          Sally
          On 15/04/2013 15:34, Anthony Austin wrote:

[...]

          No virus found in this message.

        • Tom Crispin
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
            I'm glad you can post now Sally.

            If any other GC member has a problem posting a message to the Yahoo!
            group please let me know and I will look into the problem.

            Regards,
            Tom Crispin

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

              Hi Sally, the path starts in the west near the foot tunnel and the new riverfront restaurant. It’s clearly marked in the pavement with a cycle symbol and takes you on the river side of the college buildings to the east end where you shimmy through the car park to exit near the Trafalgar Tavern. Don’t try riding through the main east-west road which is still perversely restricted to motor traffic.

              We’re hoping that cycling, and access to this route through the ORNC, will soon be authorised on designated paths in the Cutty Sark Gardens . At present it’s officially prohibited.

              Kind regards

              Anthony

              Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013

                Hi all,

                Apologies if this is a breach of list etiquette. I’m clearing out some stuff and wondered if anyone was interested.
                Just want to get rid of this stuff I thought I’d try the lists before putting it on Ebay.

                All of these items are collection only from Isle of Dogs, with cash on collection.
                You are welcome to come and view the items.
                The first person to reply about an item will be given first dibs, provided you collect it in a reasonable space of time.
                Please respond to me directly (krislowrie@...) do not reply to the whole group to avoid annoying everybody.

                Cheers,
                Kris...

                £75 Hi-vis Gore Bikewear Goretex Jacket (42-44 chest)
                Reversible jacket black and luminous yellow on one side, and grey reflective material on the other.
                Very light weight. Has a hood that zips away into the collar. A large pocket on the rump, accessible from both sides.
                I bought it a few years ago from Evans. I remember it being horrendously expensive (about £200) but somehow I hardly used it. Used only a few times.
                I don’t know if this jacket is still available but it is most similar to the Gore Bike Wear Countdown GT Jacket, on the Evans website at the address bellow.

                £40 Lemond Filmore fixed gear/single speed frame (2007ish) (Battleship Grey)
                Some scuffs etc but these blend quite well with the grey. It is made by Trek and is basically the same frame as the Trek and Gary Fisher fixies from this time.
                Steel Frame about 53cm (measuring down tube from centre of bottom bracket to centre of top tube) I’m about 5’11 tall and it fits me fine.
                This can be made into a fixed gear or single speed.
                Forks, Stem & Seatpost included
                There is no bottom bracket, so you’ll need to fit one (English thread) I can fit it for you if you like. I also have quite a few parts that we can do a deal on.

                £50 Aerorage Track Wheels Front & Rear (metallic purple)
                These cost £84.99 & £89.99 respectively when new
                I bought them for a fixed gear project. I used them a few times but they made the bike look too swanky & stealable :-) So they are still in near perfect condition.
                They have Hutchinson Fusion 2 ‘Tour de France’ tyres on them that are in new condition. These are not on sale any more but they cost £40each. I’m throwing these in with the sale. They are yellow and black.
                These wheels are on Evans website

                £50 Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and Padlock
                It is absolutely solid. These are about £130 on Evans now.
                I’ve used this fairly seldom because it weighs 10 ½ pounds! :-) It is in used condition, though it is really nearly new.
                Still have all three keys, one of which has a built in light.
                It would be ideal for anyone who wants to leave the lock in situ, for example at work or in a public place where you regularly chain up your bike.
                On Evans Website:

                £40 Kryptonite New York Lock M18
                These are £100 in Evans where I originally bought it.
                It has had little use, so it is still in good condition.
                This model is not supplied with a bracket (I presume because it is a bit heavy and large to fit in a bike frame).
                I have all three original keys, one of which has a built in light.
                On Evans:
                http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/new-york-m18-lock-ec007567

                £15 Kryptonite Evolution, Series 4
                Moderate weight lock. Bracket to fit it to the frame.
                Can’t remember how much this was. I think it was about £40.
                It is in good condition. It has had light use.
                I’ve still got the original three keys, one of them has a built in light.
                I’m throwing in a light-weight ‘Kryptoflex’ which you can use to secure your saddle.