Re: Avery Hill Park Acccessibilty Improvements [1 Attachment]

  • BT Yahoo!
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2013
      Greenwich Cyclists have made two onsite visits and discussed the issues at length at our monthly meeting on April  3.

      We welcome with enthusiasm the proposal to lift the prohibition of cycling on certain sections and to upgrade paths so as to create access to a circuitary route within the park. This would be popular recreational feature in fine parkland.
      We urge that the path be at least two metres wide where possible and clearly marked for shared use by pedestrians, wheelchairs and cycles; a majority of us favour segregating cyclists from other users.
      On the southern section of the loop we note the present boggy condition of the path, possibly caused by a blocked up stream.
      The northern approach via Butterfly Lane is good; we recommend upgrading the footpath on the south side of Bexley Road from Butterfly Lane into a shared use two-way track leading eastwards to the traffic island across Bexley Road and into Gravel Pit Lane up to Crown Wood School.
      We would like to see eventually a north-south route exiting from the southern loop via one of the footpaths.
      The western access as proposed from Southend Lane is not ideal as it starts less than one metre wide past the Water Conduit feature then plunges into unspoilt woodland; we would not wish to see the path straightened or widened to two metres for the sake of safe cycling sight-lines at the expense of shrubbery; nor would it be appropriate to seriously alter the gradient where the path emerges from the wood at the triangle junction with Butterfly Lane.
      An earlier suggestion to enter from Footscray Road over private land would be preferable in our view. The issues to be addressed here are (1) the padlocked gate (2) separation of a shared use path from the carriageway which is used by motor vehicles; we believe there is plenty of space to create this without detracting from the natural habitat. Access to this lane could be via a cycle/shared use path on the east side of Footscray Road downhill to the existing toucan crossing which continues the Greenway route.