Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Meeting with Greenwich Council on Cycling Issues

Expand Messages
  • Louise
    There will be a meeting with Royal Borough of Greenwich on 14th March to discuss issues within the Council s emerging Cycling strategy. The meeting has been
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      There will be a meeting with Royal Borough of Greenwich on 14th March to discuss issues within the Council's emerging Cycling strategy. The meeting has been called by the Council and their agenda is shown below. Greenwich Cyclists will be represented by Anthony Austin, Gareth Scarlett and Ian Blore. LCC may be represented. Our intention will be to ensure that key issues are highlighted in the strategy and to report back to the membership on progress after the meeting.

      Agenda
      1. Welcome and Introductions
      2. Schemes completed/nearing completion in 12/13
      a. Overview of infrastructure projects (LCN+)
      b. Behaviour change/training programmes
      c. Feedback and discussion
      3. Infrastructure schemes (LCN+) proposed for 2013/14
      4. Other BVR Cycling Review projects – update
      a. Borough Cycle Map
      b. Emerging Royal Greenwich Cycling Strategy
      c. Feedback and discussion
      5. Greenways projects and Thames Path update
      6. Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling update
      7. Any other issues

      It would help us if you would nominate one key item you would want Greenwich Council to prioritise within the above subjects. Let us have your ideas, please, by 12th March.
      Ian Blore
    • Mark Etherington
      I d be interested to see how the council s plans can be integrated with the Mayor s new Vision for Cycling .
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        I'd be interested to see how the council's plans can be integrated with the Mayor's new "Vision for Cycling".


        If there's money and support available from City Hall then that could be helpful at a local level. There's also talk of improving design standards, which will hopefully be A Good Thing.

        In particular, does anyone else imagine that Greenwich town centre could be a candidate for a "mini-Holland" scheme?

        Can the general public attend the meeting? If so, what time and where is it?


        All best,

        Mark

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 7 Mar 2013, at 10:18, "Louise" <louiseatbeadles@...> wrote:

         

        There will be a meeting with Royal Borough of Greenwich on 14th March to discuss issues within the Council's emerging Cycling strategy. The meeting has been called by the Council and their agenda is shown below. Greenwich Cyclists will be represented by Anthony Austin, Gareth Scarlett and Ian Blore. LCC may be represented. Our intention will be to ensure that key issues are highlighted in the strategy and to report back to the membership on progress after the meeting.

        Agenda
        1. Welcome and Introductions
        2. Schemes completed/nearing completion in 12/13
        a. Overview of infrastructure projects (LCN+)
        b. Behaviour change/training programmes
        c. Feedback and discussion
        3. Infrastructure schemes (LCN+) proposed for 2013/14
        4. Other BVR Cycling Review projects – update
        a. Borough Cycle Map
        b. Emerging Royal Greenwich Cycling Strategy
        c. Feedback and discussion
        5. Greenways projects and Thames Path update
        6. Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling update
        7. Any other issues

        It would help us if you would nominate one key item you would want Greenwich Council to prioritise within the above subjects. Let us have your ideas, please, by 12th March.
        Ian Blore

      • Darryl Chamberlain
        I would suggest pressing hard on when the transport scrutiny committee will be having Andrew Gilligan along at a meeting, as I believe was discussed at their
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          I would suggest pressing hard on when the transport scrutiny committee will be having Andrew Gilligan along at a meeting, as I believe was discussed at their last session.

          According to LCC (and another correspondent) on Twitter, Greenwich is the only council not to have returned his calls. Unfortunately, there's lots of get-outs for boroughs like Greenwich in the mayor's cycle plans, when Greenwich could be pressing ahead with things like the planned Quietways and perhaps making North Greenwich into one of the "suburban superhubs" as mentioned in the mayor's report.

          At last night's full council meeting, a written response from Chris Roberts declared the council knew how to run *bus* services better than TfL, which is a worrying indicator as to how seriously it will co-operate with cycling ideas.

          --
          Please sign up against crazy plans to ruin air quality in Greenwich: http://www.silvertowntunnel.co.uk
        • Louise
          We are keeping a track of issues raised, so please keep sending them even if they re out of the Council s remit (surely a Royal Borough has influence well
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            We are keeping a track of issues raised, so please keep sending them even if they're out of the Council's remit (surely a Royal Borough has influence well beyond its powers?).
            The meeting is limited; we intend to represent you robustly and fairly. As Roger says, issues may always be raised with your local councillor or every month at a full council meeting by filing a public question.
            Ian
          • Liz Delap
            May i suggest the failure of the Council to respond to Andrew Gilligan s attempts at liaison? Kind Regards Liz ________________________________ From:
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              May i suggest the failure of the Council to respond to Andrew Gilligan's attempts at liaison?
               

              Kind Regards

              Liz



               


              From: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com [mailto:greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Louise
              Sent: 08 March 2013 10:52
              To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Meeting with Greenwich Council on Cycling Issues

               

              We are keeping a track of issues raised, so please keep sending them even if they're out of the Council's remit (surely a Royal Borough has influence well beyond its powers?).
              The meeting is limited; we intend to represent you robustly and fairly. As Roger says, issues may always be raised with your local councillor or every month at a full council meeting by filing a public question.
              Ian

              Page Title

              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

              This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from

              disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, do not duplicate or redistribute it

              by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received

              it in error.

               

              Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent

              those of TESLA, Inc. or TESLA (Europe) Ltd.

               

              TESLA, Inc. is a company incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia, with its registered office

              at 9201 Arboretum Parkway, Suite 120, Richmond, VA 23236-5403, USA.

              TESLA (Europe) Ltd. is a company registered in England (Registered No. 2777311), with its

              registered office at 42-43 Lower Marsh, London, SE1 7RG, UK.

               

              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

            • Louise
              Several have suggested the lack of response to Andrew Gilligan as a question to RBG. This seems a good way to test the rather strange lack of responses to GLA
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Several have suggested the lack of response to Andrew Gilligan as a question to RBG. This seems a good way to test the rather strange lack of responses to GLA cycling initiatives recently (eg Go Dutch, CSH). This contrasts with the enthusiasm over huge GHV Tunnels to Silvertown, so is a really good question.
                Can anyone cite the source of intelligence that Gilligan has made an overture and it has not been taken up?
              • COLIN HARTRIDGE-PRICE
                Louise The comment came from Andrew Gilligan himself as part of his response to a question at the end of his presentation at City Hall on 7 March at the launch
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                   
                  Louise
                   
                  The comment came from Andrew Gilligan himself as part of his response to a question at the end of his presentation at City Hall on 7 March at the launch event for "The Mayor's Vision for Cycling in London".
                   
                  Regards
                   
                  Colin
                   
                  ----- Original Message -----
                  From: Louise
                  Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 2:32 PM
                  Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Meeting with Greenwich Council on Cycling Issues

                   

                  Several have suggested the lack of response to Andrew Gilligan as a question to RBG. This seems a good way to test the rather strange lack of responses to GLA cycling initiatives recently (eg Go Dutch, CSH). This contrasts with the enthusiasm over huge GHV Tunnels to Silvertown, so is a really good question.
                  Can anyone cite the source of intelligence that Gilligan has made an overture and it has not been taken up?

                • Roger Stocker
                  As Colin said Andrew Gilligan said that there was one London borough who had not got back to him - Greenwich. At a workshop I was at last Tuesday he also spoke
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment

                    As Colin said Andrew Gilligan said that there was one London borough who had not got back to him – Greenwich . At a workshop I was at last Tuesday he also spoke and said one borough hadn’t got back to him but he wouldn’t say who it was. He is going to see every London borough and so far as met with all the central London boroughs (including Lewisham). The cycling vision document does say that much of the delivery will be down to the boroughs so I guess he thinks he needs to visit all of them to explain the ‘vision’ My guess it that any will welcome this initially but when it comes down to it will do little – after all with so few people cycling in Bexley who would the authority want to work on spending money (not theirs of course) for a mode that so few people take – no votes in it of course. That’s Mr Gilligans main problem I think.

                     

                    So Greenwich havn’t got back to him (Gilligan is a Greenwich resident and politically very different to Cllr Singh I guess) but after I tweeted this ‘news’ I have received many responses from people who obviously do not like Mr Gilligan (no matter how much money he has in his back pocket). The word liar was mentioned. I did point some in the direction of the 853 blog as well as others out there.

                     

                    So if it was me in Greenwich I would say to the authority:-

                     

                    1)     Can we have a joint meeting with Gilligan and include neighbouring boroughs, Bexley, Lewisham and Southwark as we are really excited with the mayoral vision and what it can deliver in SE London

                    2)     Work together on a ‘superhighway’ from Thamesmead straight into central London linking key estates to replicate the proposed ‘Crossrail’ route from west to east London . Given the huge roads out east this might not be that difficult and could even stop at the Woolwich ferry (of course this is stuffed if it goes).

                    3)     Need a route from Kidbrook into London – other large estates as well of course.

                    4)     Project to look at electric bike trial up on Plumstead Common.

                    5)     Parallel route to the south Circular

                    6)     Local area based project in eastern Greenwich around a local shopping centre – perhaps Eltham – where there could be good route into the shopping centre.

                    7)     Chose a station for a cycle hub – like the last one on Oyster give the huge difference in fares between that and the next down the line in Kent .

                    8)     Missing link on NCN1 plus bridge over the Darenth.

                    9)     Don’t mention river crossings…..

                     

                    We are talking about a couple of million pounds over the next few years (most likely more) and it’s a great opportunity to force the borough into deliovering something…no matter how much they may hate Mr Gilligan.

                     

                    Roger

                     


                    From: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com [mailto:greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Louise
                    Sent: 09 March 2013 14:32
                    To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Meeting with Greenwich Council on Cycling Issues

                     

                     

                    Several have suggested the lack of response to Andrew Gilligan as a question to RBG. This seems a good way to test the rather strange lack of responses to GLA cycling initiatives recently (eg Go Dutch, CSH). This contrasts with the enthusiasm over huge GHV Tunnels to Silvertown, so is a really good question.
                    Can anyone cite the source of intelligence that Gilligan has made an overture and it has not been taken up?

                  • Louise
                    Some members asked questions before the meeting with transport officers of RBG. We were able to raise several of them and answers are shown below. Full notes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 27, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Some members asked questions before the meeting with transport officers of RBG. We were able to raise several of them and answers are shown below.
                      Full notes of the meeting will be posted on this site soon. Certain discussions were off the record and there are no prizes for guessing what they were.
                      I personally believe that a way forward is to make these meetings a standing feature(suggested by the RBG team), try to enlarge them to planning officers, and to engage councillors through the medium of Public Questions to Council Meetings (as some of us have been doing over many years).
                      Ian Blore

                      Q1. A CSH to Thamesmead and a better link to Kidbrooke
                      A. Good standard links to both are being considered - see Notes when posted
                      Q2. Bikes should be allowed on DLR
                      A. A matter for DLR and GLA but the grapevine suggests that GLA is now seriously pushing for this.
                      Q3. NCN1 Missing Link development
                      A. A complicated issue but one reviewed seriously in the RBG Thames Path Report - see Notes when posted
                      Q4. Cycle hub station
                      A. Not discussed, but could be raised at next meeting
                      Q5. SE London forum for cycling issues
                      Not discussed, but perhaps we cyclists should organise first (after all we have the SE London Rides Meetings)
                      Q6. Why doesn't RBG meet Andrew Gilligan
                      A. We are no nearer an answer
                    • mick davis
                      This looks positive (except Q6) Gig From: Louise Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:01 PM To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com Subject: [greenwichcyclists]
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 27, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        This looks positive (except Q6) Smile
                        Gig
                         
                        From: Louise
                        Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:01 PM
                        Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Meeting with Greenwich Council on Cycling Issues
                         
                         

                        Some members asked questions before the meeting with transport officers of RBG. We were able to raise several of them and answers are shown below.
                        Full notes of the meeting will be posted on this site soon. Certain discussions were off the record and there are no prizes for guessing what they were.
                        I personally believe that a way forward is to make these meetings a standing feature(suggested by the RBG team), try to enlarge them to planning officers, and to engage councillors through the medium of Public Questions to Council Meetings (as some of us have been doing over many years).
                        Ian Blore

                        Q1. A CSH to Thamesmead and a better link to Kidbrooke
                        A. Good standard links to both are being considered - see Notes when posted
                        Q2. Bikes should be allowed on DLR
                        A. A matter for DLR and GLA but the grapevine suggests that GLA is now seriously pushing for this.
                        Q3. NCN1 Missing Link development
                        A. A complicated issue but one reviewed seriously in the RBG Thames Path Report - see Notes when posted
                        Q4. Cycle hub station
                        A. Not discussed, but could be raised at next meeting
                        Q5. SE London forum for cycling issues
                        Not discussed, but perhaps we cyclists should organise first (after all we have the SE London Rides Meetings)
                        Q6. Why doesn't RBG meet Andrew Gilligan
                        A. We are no nearer an answer

                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.