Met Police Greenwich Park cycling tweets

  • Darryl Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
      Looks like the local rozzers could do with a trip to charm school:

      https://twitter.com/MPSGreenwich/status/297370893888417794

      https://twitter.com/MPSGreenwich/status/297371218791776259

      https://twitter.com/MPSGreenwich/status/297373148481986560

      Darryl

      --
      Please sign up against crazy plans to ruin air quality in Greenwich:
      http://www.silvertowntunnel.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
        I did see a thread over on Bikeradar about someone getting a £50 fine.

        Interestingly I remember one of the footpaths on The Avenue being marked as a shared path for cyclists. I'm assuming this is no longer the case? I always use the road anyhow but would of made use of the path. I have started diverting down Maze Hill which has seen quite a lot of cars queuing down it this week.

        By telling cyclists to dismount they have effectively closed the park to commuter cyclists. Walking down that hill during my morning commute would turn a 30sec trip into a 3-4 min one, which as a percentage increase is significant.

        This raises a similar point: The footpath across blackheath approaching the traffic lights to cross the A2 before entering the park via Blackheath gate also used to be marked as a shared path for cyclists & pedestrians. Sometime over the olympics period it was resurfaced and the cycle path markings were not restored. Does this mean that cyclists are no longer welcome on this path too?
      • Darryl Chamberlain
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2013
          I've just been up to take a look, and the whole thing betrays the
          mindset that cycling is some kind of second-class activity.

          There's no warning until you get to The Avenue itself that the hill is
          closed to cyclists - yet lots of warning for motorists, who only get
          to use it a few hours a day. So of course people will be tempted to
          ride down the hill, or elsewhere in the park.

          In fact, I saw a couple of riders dismount, peer down the hill, then
          remount and head towards Rangers House instead.

          Obviously the road needs to be rebuilt, and I don't have a problem
          with The Avenue being closed if it creates a safer and better road.
          But cyclists could at least be treated with the same courtesy as other
          road users.