Royal Standard road narrowing

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2012

    Dear All,

    We’ve briefly looked at this already. Stephen I think said he opposed any road narrowing which would tend to encourage motorists to crowd out cyclists. I myself think the improvement is helpful for pedestrians and does not add or detract from the danger of cycling at the Royal Standard. What does anyone else think?

    Anthony

    Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
      I think this proposal is a good one.
      I appreciate the point about narrowing roads, but this only arises in the North West corner, where the road is in practice narrowed by random vans and cars parked (sometimes very inconsiderately) along the section where the narrowing is proposed and on both sides of Westcombe Hill. The new parking bays are partly on the pavement, so they may actually reduce the obstruction caused by parked vehicles.
      The proposal at the North East corner is all positive for cyclists: it will slow down traffic joining from the East and will help to separate such traffic from cyclists (and drivers) already on the one way system.

      Mark Barnes

      --- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Austin" <austin970@...> wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > We've briefly looked at this already. Stephen I think said he opposed any
      > road narrowing which would tend to encourage motorists to crowd out
      > cyclists. I myself think the improvement is helpful for pedestrians and does
      > not add or detract from the danger of cycling at the Royal Standard. What
      > does anyone else think?
      >
      > Anthony
      >

      > _____

    • Teresa Griffith
      Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
        I am with Stephen... I totally object to any road narrowing...

        --
        Teri
      • Liz Delap
        Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
          I'm with Mark, I think the effect of narrowing is to slow traffic, helpful to cyclists.  I'm not sure if this bit of road is a long roundabout or a gyratory, but it can be quite unpleasant.

          Kind Regards

          Liz

          Message 5 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
            Me too.  Blackheath Standard is no fun on a bike.  A couple of years back I saw  a poor chap under the wheels of a skip lorry there...

          • hayleyf605@btinternet.com
            Message 6 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
              Hello,

              Firstly, I'm sorry I couldn't make the last meeting, I'll be at the next one.

              I've mentioned the issues raised here with officers who are working on a broader cycling strategy which is quite exciting. However, on this particular issue they've asked if comments, particularly those from Darryl Charman could be sent to brian.hanson@... so they can be looked at in more detail.

              I hope that helps

              Hayley (Fletcher)

              --- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, Dalla <dallajenney@...> wrote:

              > Me too. Blackheath Standard is no fun on a bike. A couple of years back I saw a poor chap under the wheels of a skip lorry there...
              >

              > On 12 Nov 2012, at 14:04, Teresa Griffith <teresa.triathlete@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am with Stephen... I totally object to any road narrowing...
              > >
              > > --
              > > Teri

            • Stephen Craven
              Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012

                I’m only just able to reply to this since I was without Internet access at home for several days.    My comment “Stephen I think said he opposed any road narrowing which would tend to encourage motorists to crowd out cyclists” was a general one but in this instance I think it’s more reasonable since the car parking bays leading up to it will reduce the “sudden pinch point” effect.  [incidentally is there a decent and short English term to translate the French “stationnement genant”?]

                Stephen

                I appreciate the point about narrowing roads, but this only arises in the North West corner, where the road is in practice narrowed by random vans and cars parked (sometimes very inconsiderately) along the section where the narrowing is proposed and on both sides of Westcombe Hill. The new parking bays are partly on the pavement, so they may actually reduce the obstruction caused by parked vehicles.
                The proposal at the North East corner is all positive for cyclists: it will slow down traffic joining from the East and will help to separate such traffic from cyclists (and drivers) already on the one way system.

                Mark Barnes

                --- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Austin" <austin970@...> wrote:

                > Dear All,
                >
                > We've briefly looked at this already. Stephen I think said he opposed any
                > road narrowing which would tend to encourage motorists to crowd out
                > cyclists. I myself think the improvement is helpful for pedestrians and
                does
                > not add or detract from the danger of cycling at the Royal Standard. What
                > does anyone else think?
                >
                > Anthony
                >

                > _____

              • Bob Walkden
                Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012

                  > [incidentally is there a decent and short English term to translate the French “stationnement genant”?

                  parking without due care and attention?

                  nuisance parking?

                  parking liable to cause a scratch in your paintwork?