Walter Cronkite: Karl Rove set up Bin Laden tape

  • Glickman37@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      Excerpts from Larry King interviewing Walter Cronkite - 10/29/04

      http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/29/lkl.01.html

      CRONKITE: What we just heard. So now the question is basically right now,
      how will this affect the election? And I have a feeling that it could tilt
      the election a bit. In fact, I'm a little inclined to think that Karl Rove,
      the political manager at the White House, who is a very clever man, he
      probably set up bin Laden to this thing. The advantage to the Republican
      side is to get rid of, as a principal subject of the campaigns right now,
      get rid of the whole problem of the al Qaqaa explosive dump. Right now,
      that, the last couple of days, has, I think, upset the Republican campaign.

      CRONKITE: I think partly because of the nature of the administration. It has
      offended a large number of people quite seriously, right down to their
      souls, apparently. The war has not supported fully, certainly by all the
      people. The economy has touched a lot of our people. And they feel very
      strongly about it. So there is a very definite body there in opposition to
      the administration, as we know. And the administration itself has a lot of
      support. I think that mostly it's really locked into the Iraqi situation.