FW: Good News - Five remaining elephants at Hwange NP sent to rehabilitation park in Zimbabwe.

  • Jill Vickerman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2013

      From: Judith Price [mailto:wildlife@...]
      Sent: 20 January 2013 03:12 PM
      To: Jill Vickerman
      Subject: Good News - Five remaining elephants at Hwange NP sent to rehabilitation park in Zimbabwe.

      Hi Jill - FYI _ Sorry I missed sending this to you yesterday!

      Dear Supporter of the Zimbabwe Elephants

      The 5 remaining wild caught elephants that were still held in the Boma in Hwange since their capture last year for sale to Chinese Zoos, are on their way to Umfurudzi National Park. It's official! They have been transported and will arrive within 2 hours at Umfurudzi. (As at 8.10AM Zimbabwe time 19 January 2012). Their ongoing care and rehabilitation will be undertaken by public/private partnership management at Umfurudzi, they will be rehabilitated to live wild lives.(Read more)

      January 19 2013

      The petition mounted on AVAAZ on 6 January signed by almost 15,000 people world-wide supporting the on-the-ground negotiations has resulted today in the release of the five juvenile elephants in Zimbabwe sold to Chinese Zoos.

      World Citizens for Elephants commended the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority of Zimbabwe for their agreement to release the 5 remaining wild caught elephant *calves being held at Hwange National Park into a rehabilitation situation and not send them to Chinese zoos.

      "We can confirm the **5 young elephants have been loaded onto trucks bound for a suitable rehabilitation centre at Umfurudzi National Park in the Zimbabwe High Veld." An on-the-ground contact said today.

      The victory though is bitter sweet, the three elephants in China still need help. We continue to discuss the situation with on-the-ground contacts in China who are trying to assist the three elephant calves held in awful conditions at Taiyuan performing zoo and Xinjiang Tianshan Safari Park.

      It is clear that the urgent situation arising from these sales of wild-captured elephant calves that moral and ethical questions arise about whether elephants; sentient, social and long lived animals, should be caught from the wild and sold for exhibition to zoos and circuses. Zimbabwe claims to have a right to capture more elephants and sell them to any zoo of the 177 Member Parties to the CITES Convention. The Zimbabwe Authorities claim that the sale of elephant calves to zoos fund the maintenance of their National Parks. They have not ruled out further sales.

      *Note 1: Original information that the calves were milk dependent were erroneous, “the calves are 4- 5 years old” an on-the-ground animal expert has confirmed.

      **Note 2: Re Numbers of Calves: Original information that there were 14 calves still being held in Zimbabwe, we do know that 4 sold to China and were transported to China, one died. There were  5 left in Zimbabwe awaiting transport. We are awaiting information on the NUMBERS, movements etc. But at this stage ALL calves held at Hwange NP have been released to the rehabilitation park.

      Jude Price

      for

      World Citizens For Elephants (Petition)

      Founder and Advocate