The Mediterranean’s Underwater Forests

  • Green Drinks Malta
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2013
      Highly recommended talk organised by our friends Malta Cafe' Scientifique.  Not to be missed!

      The Mediterranean’s Underwater Forests

      Beneath the clear blue Mediterranean sea lies another forest. Seagrass (Posidonia oceanica) meadows keep our sea, alive, healthy and full of fish. Without this single species we would be swimming in very different seas.

      Dr Joseph A. Borg (University of Malta) will be giving a Malta Café Scientifique talk called The Mediterranean’s Underwater Forests. The event will start at 6.30pm (doors open 6.15) on Thur 18 April at the Music Room, St James Cavalier, Valletta. After the talk, a discussion will be open to the floor. Free Entrance.

      Dr Borg will talk about the properties of these meadows and their vital role in the Mediterranean marine ecosystem. They provide numerous marine plant and animal species with attachment, food, and a hiding place from predators. The meadows indirectly sustain other habitats in the Mediterranean sea.

       Inline images 1