Green Drinks in March: “Water in Malta – are we clutching at straws?” BOOK NOW

  • Green Drinks Malta
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 1:48 AM
      In support of World Water Day, Green Drinks Malta presents

      “Water in Malta – are we clutching at straws?”

      The presentation by Ing Marco Cremona on behalf of Malta Water Association will give an overview of the current state of water resources in Malta, the issues concerning the sustainability of the resources, and attempts to provoke the audience as to whether we have enough water to go around today, and in the future. Options for ‘survival’ will be provided.

      Afterwards we are invited by Sparkbow Ltd to their launch of the WaterRecycle System ® whereby grey water from showers and laundry can be reused for flushings and irrigation using an eco-friendly odourless disinfectant).  All invited for drinks.

      Saturday the 23rd March 2013 @ 7.30pm – 10pm

      Venue:  Obelisk Auctions Gallery, Villa Drusilla, No 1, Mdina Road, Attard, Malta
      Book your FREE place: info@...

      Article by maltatoday (22/02/13): Where the parties stand | Water resources and sustainability

      The Malta Organic Agriculture Movement (MOAM) endorses this event and understands the critical importance of raising awareness about water.  They cite that “at the water level, organic farming shows a lower leaching rate of nitrates in groundwater as compared to the average rate of integrated or inorganic agriculture, as proved by low nitrogen residues observed in autumn in the soil of almost all the crops examined, with a positive impact also on surface water quality. According to some studies, the loss of nutrients per unit surface is lower up to 57% in organic agricultural systems. Organic farming eliminates almost completely the risk of contamination of groundwater and surface water due to pesticides and other synthesis chemical substances.  Therefore, organic farming is the chosen agricultural system for the areas where water is withdrawn also to be turned into drinking water”.

      IMPACT EXPECTED ON WATER BY ORGANIC FARMING

      . Decrease in groundwater and surface pollutants;

      · Decrease in nitrates percolation in groundwater;

      · Increase in surface water quality;

      · Decrease in the loss of nutrients per unit surface up to 57%.

      · Elimination of the risk of groundwater and surface water contamination with pesticides.

      Nature Trust (Malta) considers Water as a very important resource for Malta.  Many today take this resource fore granted and  do not realise that 55% of our water is coming from the sea through Reverse Osmosis plants thus contributing to air pollution through energy demands.  Over tapping of our ground water is also contributing to biodiversity loss in Malta and habitats loss.  As citizens we need to be more responsible on how we use this resource and in parallel urge our political leaders to act fast.  The more we depend on RO water the more are we contributing badly towards our health, well being and the environment around us.

      Friends of the Earth (Malta) says that it is a known fact that over-extraction of water in Malta is severely depleting our fresh water reserves. It is outrageous that the greater part of extraction is from unregulated illegal sources. Besides agriculture, this finite resource is being exploited as a cheap substitute to town water by industries (including beverage companies), hotels, commercial establishments and even privately owned swimming pools. The unregulated quality of this water is also posing a serious risk to public health and our tourism industry.

      Considering that the Reverse Osmosis plants already consume a large percentage of our electricity (and therefore a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions), the imminent water crisis will put additional burden on the energy sector, which is also facing its own difficulties.

      More NGOs wishing to endorse World Water Day by a statement,  most welcome.