356Take action against violence in Burma

  • Natalie Debono
    Jun 27, 2013
      Dear friends,

      Most people didn't know what was happening in Rwanda until it was too late, and 800,000 people were dead. Right now, the fate of Burma's Rohingya people could be heading in the same dangerous direction. Already children have been hacked to death with machetes and unspeakable murders have been committed by the hundreds. Now racist thugs have distributed leaflets threatening to wipe out this small Burmese minority. All signs point to a coming horror, unless we act.

      Genocides happen because we don't act on the obvious warning signs -- the kind we’re seeing now in Burma. The Rohingya are a peaceful and very poor people but they're hated because their skin is darker and they 'take jobs away' from the majority. There are 800,000 of them, and they could be gone if we don't act. We've failed too many peoples, let's not fail the Rohingya.

      There's one simple thing we can do as a global community of conscience. The UN has called on the Burmese government to take action to end the violence against Muslims. But this risks becoming an empty gesture unless they establish an independent international investigation -- let’s build a giant outcry to show UN leaders that they’ll have blood on their hands if they don’t act to stop the next Rwanda. Sign the urgent petition, and it will be delivered directly to the UN Human Rights Council ahead of their next session:

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/burma_the_next_rwanda_31/?tFcHdab

      Torture, gang rape, execution style killings -- human rights groups are using the term “ethnic cleansing” to describe the brutality in Burma. Already more than 120,000 Rohingya have been forced to flee, many to makeshift camps near the border, while others have fled in boats only to drown, starve, or be shot at by coastguards from neighboring countries. Reports show that violence is escalating -- President Thein Sein recently declared a state of emergency after another round of deadly attacks, and there could be another large scale massacre any day.

      The horrific treatment of the Rohingya reached a new low this week when a government spokesperson admitted that authorities were enforcing a rule that limits the Rohingya population to having only two children and forces couples seeking to get married to obtain special permission. But there’s a silver lining, the proposal has sparked such an image problem for the President that he’s finally been forced to acknowledge what’s happening to the Rohingya.

      But acknowledgement alone won’t end the killings. We've failed too many peoples, let's not fail the Rohingya. Join the call now and share this with everyone:

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/burma_the_next_rwanda_31/?tFcHdab

      Time and again, the Avaaz community has stood with the people of Burma in their fight for democracy. When the regime brutally cracked down on Buddhist monks in 2007, Avaazers donated to provide technical support and training to activists to fight a communications blackout, and then donated to the humanitarian disaster after 2008's devastating cyclone. Now, let's urgently stand with the Rohinga people and help stop another massacre.

      With hope and determination,

      Jeremy, Luis, Aldine, Oliver, Marie, Jooyea and the whole Avaaz team

      PS - Many Avaaz campaigns are started by members of our community! Start yours now and win on any issue - local, national or global: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/start_a_petition/?bgMYedb&v=23917

      MORE INFORMATION

      Burma riots: Video shows police failing to stop attack (BBC News)
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22243676

      Burma: End ‘Ethnic Cleansing’ of Rohingya Muslims (Human Rights Watch)
      http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/04/22/burma-end-ethnic-cleansing-rohingya-muslims

      Video shows Burmese police standing by as Buddhists attack Muslims (The Guardian)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/22/burmese-police-buddhists-attack-muslims

      Rights group accuses Myanmar of 'ethnic cleansing' (CNN)
      http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/asia/myanmar-rohingya-report

      Dalai Lama Pleads for Myanmar Monks to End Violence Amid Damning Rights Report (ABC News)
      http://abcnews.go.com/International/dalai-lama-pleads-myanmar-monks-end-violence-amid/story?id=19013148#.UXV3vCt4a5w

      Special Report: Myanmar gives official blessing to anti-Muslim monks (Reuters)
      http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/27/us-myanmar-969-specialreport-idUSBRE95Q04720130627

      ICC Prosecutor: we are closely monitoring the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (ICC)
      http://www.icc-cpi.int/en_menus/icc/structure%20of%20the%20court/office%20of%20the%20prosecutor/reports%20and%20statements/statement/Pages/statement111111.aspx

      Avaaz.org is a 24-million-person global campaign network
      that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

      You are getting this message because you signed "Burma: Stop the next Rwanda" on 2013-06-27 06:54:48 using the email address ndebono@....

      To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).