''Tourism adds visibility, viability to region''

  • Claude-Jean Harel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 9:15 PM
      Greetings everyone,

      I thought I would forward - with the author's permission - this article from
      a colleague south of the border who has nailed bang on the underlying value
      of our industry to economically challenged rural regions and communities.

      Enjoy...

      ''Tourism adds visibility, viability to region

      Some individuals do not consider tourism a primary industry; however,
      tourism can be primary for our economic development. Tourism adds needed
      visibility and viability to our region. A recent Department of Commerce
      study prepared in 2001 by East Carolina University titled Assessing the
      Economic Impact of Ecotourism Developments on the Albermarle/Pamlico Region
      (#99-06-07459) highlights the dramatic economic impacts tourism can have on
      a region.

      The study notes that the Albermarle and Pamlico region of North Carolina
      entails a five county region that ranked in the bottom third of North
      Carolina counties for median household income. Two of the counties in the
      region ranked as the poorest counties in the state. Four of the five
      counties have a median household income 20 percent below the state median
      household income. In this depressed region of the Southeast United States,
      the citizens worked to develop eco-tourism events that would spur economic
      development for the region.

      Within a short amount of time, they garnered more development and positive
      exposure than they could ever imagine. A brief review of the effects begins
      to tell the story of what we can do in the Northwest region of North Dakota.
      In 1999, direct event spending was about $2 million. However, by linking
      eco-tourism events with cultural events or recreation, the region was able
      to leverage $2 million of direct event spending to over $90 million in total
      regional economic impact to include direct capital improvements to the
      region. Travel and tourism related jobs grew to 1,020 with a tourism
      generated payroll of $15.5 million.

      In addition to the direct and expanded economic impact, visitors who are at
      prime investment age spent quality time in the region. The visitors were
      split evenly between men and women. Here's a break-down of the visitors in
      prime age categories:

      • Age 31-40, 18 percent.

      • Age 41-50, 23 percent.

      • Age 51-60, 29 percent.

      • Over age 60, 19 percent.

      Notice that the population groups noted above represent the prime employment
      age as well as business decision-making age groups. These individuals
      represent the high human and financial capital owners that we want to
      attract to our region. A positive tourism experience can lead to decisions
      that land businesses as well as high skill employees in our region.

      This study demonstrates that tourism can have a huge impact in the
      development of a region. But what can tourism do for Minot and Northwest
      North Dakota? Here are just a few local improvements tourism can spark:

      • Increases capital spending and payroll.

      • Enhances quality-of-life for current residents and future residents by
      spurring growth in retail, entertainment, arts, recreation, increased use
      of transportation nodes (Amtrak, air, and roads), restaurants, and lodging.

      • Increases growth in existing tourism events such as the Norsk Hostfest,
      the North Dakota State Fair, and many other regional events.

      • Increases capital improvements in town and city centers that improve the
      "look" of the community financed through tourism expenditures.

      • Introduces potential new residents and businesses to our communities.

      • Infuses need funds into the communities.

      • Increases developments that make the region a better place to live and
      visit.

      Adjustments must be made in comparing tourism in this region with tourism in
      the densely populated regions of our country. People traveling to Northern
      Virginia can equally enjoy Washington D.C. with many tourism splendors. To
      attract people to less densely populated regions such North Dakota, we must
      do the following:

      • Link community tourism events and opportunities to neighboring regions and
      states - get people to our areas that are also interested in Mount Rushmore
      or Canada. People that take longer than extended weekend vacations are most
      prone to visit our region and we must offer tourism opportunities that can
      fill a one to two week period.

      • Market internationally linking our Native American communities, Farm
      communities, European heritage, and wide open spaces for "driving the
      Harleys."

      • Consider reverse "snow birding" during the summer months to attract
      residents from the southern regions of our country.

      • Consider developing progressive winter events that attract "off-season"
      tourists and makes greater use of our community resources.

      • Market eco-tourism aggressively.

      Tourism is one of the important tools in our economic development tool kit
      and should be considered on an equal basis with our other tools. We have
      several world-class events in our region and we should leverage these events
      to secure year-round world-class tourism events and opportunities to grow
      our region.''

      Roderic Hewlett is the dean of Minot State University's College of Business
      and Graduate School, in a state (North Dakota) where I've been spending a
      fair bit of time lately.

      Recognize the challenge?

      C-J

      --
      Claude-Jean Harel, President and CEO
      Great Excursions Co.

      Canadian Manager of Michel Fournier's Super Jump Team www.legrandsaut.org
      Founding member of the Learning and Enrichment Travel Alliance Canada
      www.letacanada.com
      Proud member of Responsibletravel.com www.responsibletravel.com
      Proud member of the Saskatchewan Tourism Authority www.sasktourism.com
      Proud member of Tourism Regina www.tourismregina.com
      Proud member of the Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership
      www.sasktrade.sk.ca