comparing hunting and ecotourism

  • jshores@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Richard Bangs reports on a trip to the Bangweulu Swamps in Zambia...

      "A few days ago, the Zambian minister of tourism, the Hon. Marina M.
      Nsingo M.P., made a speech to her constituency: "Countrymen and women. I
      am reliably informed that eco-tourism is able to raise revenues far in
      excess of that obtainable from wildlife revenue generation [read:
      hunting]. If fully utilized, therefore, it may help us make our rural
      areas more prosperous and help us eliminate poverty by creating wealth."

      That's the not the story we heard on the ground throughout this journey,
      from outfitters, camp operators, and guides. "It would take 200
      eco-tourists here to generate as much as one hunting safari," a staff
      member at the Wildlife Camp in the Lupande GMA told us. In 1999, the last
      year data was published, communities in Lupande received $220,000 from
      hunting fees, which they used to build schools, wells, and clinics—and
      that's after the various parties in the chain, including the central
      government, took their skim. Eco-tourism makes a contribution, to be
      sure, but very little by comparison, at least now."

      Read the full story on Slate.com at:

      http://slate.msn.com/?id=2071041