Re: Beyond the Beach: Modern Travellers in Asia

  • "Dr. Klaus Westerhausen"
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hello

      Almost two years ago, during the discussion about the movie “The
      Beach”, I posted a notice on the network looking for a publisher for an
      Ethnography of Western Travellers in Asia, based on my Ph.D. thesis.

      The response has been overwhelming and I am pleased to report that
      the work is now complete and that the book has been published this
      month by White Lotus in Bangkok as part of Erik Cohen’s Series “Studies
      in Asian Tourism”.

      I would like to thank once again everybody who contributed their
      suggestions and advice. I have attached an abstract below and look
      forward to your comments.

      Cheers,

      Klaus Westerhausen

      Dr. Klaus Westerhausen
      Anthropologist
      Tourism Program
      Rockingham Campus
      Murdoch University
      ROCKINGHAM, Western Australia 6168
      E-mail: west@...

      Beyond the Beach:

      An Ethnography of Modern Travellers in Asia.

      Studies in Asian Tourism No. 2. Series Editor: Eric Cohen

      Abstract

      Drifter-style tourism in Asia has become a sanitised and institutionalised
      tourism alternative. Over the last thirty years it has developed its own
      tourism myth and spawned a mobile subculture of Western travellers.
      The study seeks to illustrate the historical background, nature and
      ideology of present day travellers in Asia and to present an "insiders view"
      of the subculture based on more than 6o in-depth interviews conducted
      during the fieldwork. It will also document the impact of those travellers
      on destinations in Asia by chronicling the fate of the islands Koh Samui
      and Koh Phangan in Southern Thailand. Those islands, at one stage or
      another, were among the largest traveller-centres in Southeast Asia and
      have subsequently achieved Hollywood Fame through Alex Garland's
      popular novel "The Beach".

      However, even without Hollywood, Asia's traveller subculture is worth
      attention. With rapidly increasing numbers, it now represents a viable
      market in its own right, one that fits in well with an ecologically
      sustainable tourism product. However, development of this tourism
      alternative is frequently being undermined by unsustainable growth due to
      a lack of planning and by the destruction of its destination sites by other
      tourism sectors. Experience shows that without advance strategies for
      their development, many of those sites tend to develop either in an
      unsustainable manner or become the target of "hostile takeovers" by
      outside operators and competing tourism sectors. This state of affairs
      has been instrumental in condemning travellers to remain always just
      one step ahead of conventional mass tourism.

      Backpackers-Asia-Sustainable Development- Thailand-Islands-The
      Beach

      Bibliographical Reference:

      Westerhausen, Klaus:
      Beyond the Beach: An Ethnography of Modern Travellers in Asia.
      Studies in Asian Tourism No. 2.
      Series Editor: Erik Cohen
      (Bangkok 2002)
      ISBN 974-4800-09-7