Communication and Sustainable Tourism

  • Editor, Planeta.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2006
      Following up on a previous post
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/green-travel/message/3864

      Elsewhere on the Web

      NEW PUBLICATION -- The summary is now available in PDF format from the summer's e-
      conference Communication and Sustainable Tourism - World Bank
      http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTDEVCOMMENG/Resources/Commtourism.PDF

      QUOTES

      The need for governments to create and maintain websites with regularly updated
      information was stressed, as was the notion that websites should not serve just for
      tourism promotion purposes, but also to disseminate information on tourism policies and
      plans.

      National tourism portals could be rated not only by what they have online, but also by how
      they participate in independent groups (e.g., ECOCLUB, green-travel, and Planeta) and
      whether or not they link to independent sites, including blogs (internet logbooks) and
      flicker galleries (online pictures presentation). Bonus points could be awarded for showing
      visitors where they can stay, eat and drink.

      Tourism portals, however, fail to provide regularly updated calendars of events with
      descriptions of courses and instructors. Also, participants should be able to rate their
      instructors and some sort of public evaluation should occur after six to twelve months.

      Consumer surveys are confusing, for although they often proclaim a general willingness to
      pay a premium for products that demonstrate a commitment to sustainable tourism
      practices, only a small percentage of consumers appear to seek these products or
      understand much about what appropriate environmental, social or cultural standards are.

      Certification should be much more holistic in its approach and, if we are to judge
      individual operators and hotels, we should also review tourism officials, academics, NGOs
      and international institutions including World Bank, UNEP and UNWTO.

      Marketing has been revolutionized by the Internet. Instead of suppliers selling through
      agencies, businesses can offer their services directly to an international market. Without
      large monetary investments, small businesses can perhaps profit from the Internet
      through "buzzing campaigns" in which email messages "buzz" around on their own to
      specific Internet communities with the invitation to add news.

      Planeta.com Reference

      Toward effective communication in sustainable tourism
      http://www.planeta.com/planeta/06/0606communication2.html

      WISH LIST -- We look forward to World Bank's next e-conference on communication and
      tourism. If possible, we'd like to see advance notice of 3-6 months.