Think Tank Invitation

  • yuri_toroptsov
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      I am pleased to invite you to the second think tank, Promoting Best
      Practices in Sustainable Travel and Tourism, and the Second Annual
      Ambassador Lane Lecture, April 9 - 13, 2002. This conference is
      co-sponsored by the School of Tourism Industry Management at the
      University of Hawaii at Manoa (see details below). Please note that
      you can register on our website (http://www.sustainabletravel.org/)

      Sincerely,

      Yuri Toroptsov
      External Relations Officer
      Business Enterprises for Sustainable Travel
      An initiative of The Conference Board in association with the World
      Travel & Tourism Council

      *********************************
      BEST Think Tank:
      Promoting Best Practices in Sustainable Travel and Tourism and the
      Second Annual Ambassador Lane Lecture
      April 9 - 13, 2002
      Honolulu, Hawaii

      As we approach the World Summit on Sustainable Development, it is a
      good time to take stock of what progress the travel and tourism
      industry has made over the last ten years and the challenges before
      us. Today's exemplary practices will need to be broadened in scope
      and adapted by many other enterprises around the globe to ensure that
      tourism develops in a sustainable manner in the future. Also,
      existing knowledge must be made more widely available through
      universities and industry to assure that sustainability becomes a
      core operating principle in tourism planning and development.

      Please join us to:
      * Discuss industry barriers to implementing sustainable
      practices, and strategies for overcoming them;
      * Learn about examples of successful indigenous enterprises
      from countries in the Pacific Rim, including our host community,
      Hawai'i;
      * Develop teaching modules incorporating the principles of
      sustainability into the core curriculum of university and industry-
      based courses in hospitality and tourism.
      * Share experiences on how university hospitality and tourism
      programs can exert greater leadership in bridging the gap between the
      realms of theory and practice;
      * And discuss how to better position the case for
      sustainability in light of the economic stresses facing the industry
      and the overarching concerns about security.

      Please note that there is an optional opportunity to present papers
      on the topics presented. (We will be adjusting the registration form,
      so you will be able to indicate under which topic you would be
      interested in presenting a paper. In the meanwhile, please indicate
      the topic in the comment section). Participation is welcome from all
      sectors of the industry. If you have any questions, please do not
      hesitate to be in touch.

      www.sustainabletravel.org