Re: Southern Africa: Eclipse 2001

  • Marcus L. Endicott
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001

      On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:11:07 -0400, Marcus L. Endicott <mendicott@...>
      wrote:

      >21 June 2001 total solar eclipse
      > http://www.eclipse.com.zm/
      >

      >List members,
      >
      >I'm now in South Africa for the first time, and hope to soon move into the
      >eclipse path across Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
      >
      >I would be very interested in hearing from anyone on the list in these
      >areas for any reason, or with ecotourism related contacts there.
      >
      >Peace on Earth,
      >
      > - Marcus Endicott
      > mendicott@...
      > http://www.mendicott.com

      List members,

      I would like to THANK list member Thea Schoeman and her colleague Liz Block
      of the Vista University (http://www.vista.ac.za/) Geographical Sciences
      department (http://www.internext.co.za/geography/) for their kind
      invitation, a result of the above message, and for their EXCELLENT guided
      tour of the Soweto campus where they work and the surrounding Soweto
      township. I encourage anyone interested in touring Soweto to contact Liz
      Block at igalaxy@... regarding her "Soweto PC Tours" (PC =
      Perception Changing). You can learn more about Soweto at
      http://www.sowetosa.co.za/ .

      Go well from Johannesburg, South Africa,

      - Marcus Endicott
      http://www.mendicott.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2001

        >On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:11:07 -0400, Marcus L. Endicott <mendicott@...>
        >wrote:
        >
        >>21 June 2001 total solar eclipse
        >> http://www.eclipse.com.zm/
        >>

        >>List members,
        >>
        >>I'm now in South Africa for the first time, and hope to soon move into the
        >>eclipse path across Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
        >>
        >>I would be very interested in hearing from anyone on the list in these
        >>areas for any reason, or with ecotourism related contacts there.
        >>
        >>Peace on Earth,
        >>
        >> - Marcus Endicott
        >> mendicott@...
        >> http://www.mendicott.com
        >

        >List members,
        >
        >I would like to THANK list member Thea Schoeman and her colleague Liz Block
        >of the Vista University (http://www.vista.ac.za/) Geographical Sciences
        >department (http://www.internext.co.za/geography/) for their kind
        >invitation, a result of the above message, and for their EXCELLENT guided
        >tour of the Soweto campus where they work and the surrounding Soweto
        >township. I encourage anyone interested in touring Soweto to contact Liz
        >Block at igalaxy@... regarding her "Soweto PC Tours" (PC =
        >Perception Changing). You can learn more about Soweto at
        >http://www.sowetosa.co.za/ .
        >
        >Go well from Johannesburg, South Africa,
        >
        > - Marcus Endicott
        > http://www.mendicott.com

        List members,

        I have spent a remarkable past few months in southern Africa, and have
        found visiting this part of Africa to be MUCH better in every way than I
        had imagined!

        I bought a 1982 Datsun Safari diesel 4WD through http://www.junkmail.co.za/
        in Johannesburg, South Africa... and a Thrane & Thrane "Mini-M satphone"
        (http://www.tt.dk/products/landmobile/TT-3060A.asp) from
        http://www.connectingafrica.com/ also in Joburg.

        I drove from South Africa across Botswana into Zambia then explored the
        eclipse path from Zambia through Zimbabwe and into Mozambique.

        The Datsun Safari gave me many headaches, and I've come to the conclusion
        that Africa is not a place to nurse an old car. However, the Thrane &
        Thrane satphone worked amazingly well with my old Dell Inspiron laptop,
        using only Outlook Express to quickly exchange priority text messages daily
        at 9600 baud from virtually anywhere!

        Today I am still in Harare, Zimbabwe, having spent most of the last month
        in Zimbabwe at Nyatana Wildlife Reserve near the town of Kotwa in Mudzi
        District northeast Zimbabwe close to the Mozambique border, where I watched
        the June 21 total solar eclipse at a peace camp with more than a hundred
        friends from around the world.

        I would like to bring to your attention one black African person from
        Zimbabwe in particular, Mr. F.D. Katanha, known simply as "Makombe".
        Makombe is associated with the Panjea Foundation
        (http://www.panjea.org/FOUNDATION/foundation.html), and is extenisvely
        involved both with unique cultural tourism projects and the development of
        permaculture villages throughout Zimbabwe. If you are interested in
        developing cultural tourism business or simply visiting Zimbabwe, I
        heartily recommend you contact Mr. Dominic Katanha at
        macombe@... .

        Peace in Zimbabwe,

        - Marcus Endicott
        http://www.mendicott.com

        P.S. I have added many new people the GREEN-TRAVEL Mailing List today;
        please accept my apology for any delay!

        This space now available! ;^) Contact mendicott@... for details.