6383Announcement from a VISION for Sustainable Tourism: Editor's must reads - mass tourism - world heritage in crisis

  • Valere Tjolle
    Jul 23, 2014
      Hello Green travellers

      I worry more and more about the issue of tourism commoditisation. Wherever I
      go I see more of our potentially precious travel experiences being made into
      too easily saleable goods for the real benefit of nobody. This is what mass
      tourism can do - take out the value of the experience and replace it with a
      low manageable price in the search for numbers and massive turnover. If you
      want to see what I mean - just visit any world heritage sight, watch, and
      ask this question "Where is the value in this experience and who is getting
      it?"

      Whether its straightforward price cutting below the ability of hotels to
      provide service or on the front line of the issue - cruises and
      all-inclusives - they cannot deliver the massive value that is expected by
      ringfenced tourists who invest not only money but their precious time in
      search of a really authentic life-enhancing experience.

      And, now we are at a point of change - tourism sustainability is an absolute
      imperative - culturally, socially, environmentally and economically.

      So the credibility of green information, advice and ultimately certification
      is fundamentally important.

      Tripadvisor weighs in with its 260million monthly unique users and its own
      'Free' scheme which disregards almost all the knowledge that the industry
      has gained over the last difficult 22 years.

      Just another scheme to add to the 140 already in operation rather than a
      cohesive force? Tripadvisor has introduced a maverick. http://bit.ly/1kToovm

      But some are taking the high road - just look at the commitment, honesty and
      painstaking approach that the Caribbean and particularly Grenada is taking
      to its tourism industry - a real breath of fresh, pure, air!
      http://bit.ly/1x0dbyD

      More below - including our latest comprehensive, concise report and an
      opportunity to join one of our masterclasses - good conversation, good
      networking, good information, good food and drink!

      I heartily recommend our website http://www.totemtourism.com interviews,
      stories, offers - worthwhile or they wouldn't be there!

      This week's news:

      CONNECT TO CHANGEMAKERS
      Sustainable Tourism ROI- Intensive International November Masterclasses -
      earlybird prices: http://bit.ly/Wahqwa

      EVERYTHING IN LATEST REPORT
      Offer: tourism, a past, present, future full of opportunities - out NOW:
      http://bit.ly/1mh2Fgx

      SINKING HOPES?
      Ravenna European City of Culture 2019?: http://bit.ly/Unyaiw

      SUPERBLY OPTIMISTICALLY VISIBLY SUSTAINABLE
      Grenada ­ new initiative ­ pure and very green: http://bit.ly/1x0dbyD

      HOW TO BE A GREEN DESTINATION
      Green destinations seminar unveiled: http://bit.ly/1nTMy9a

      60 GREEN TOURISM STARS
      Green tourism shortlist unveiled: http://bit.ly/1mDyvE8

      DO WE NEED IT?
      Tripadvisor - yet another shade of green tourism: http://bit.ly/1kToovm

      THE INDIAN SUSTAINABLE TOURISM INCUBATOR
      Kerala tourism wins at pata: http://bit.ly/WCEa8H

      ASPIRATIONAL SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
      Top list says eco and luxury very compatible: http://bit.ly/Us9RzE

      That's it for today

      Comments, by the way always very, very, very welcome indeed.

      Why not also tell your friends about 'A Vision for Sustainable Tourism'
      group at Linkedin and join it? With well OVER ***5,500!*** professional
      members and at least one fascinating new sustainable tourism/real tourism
      discussion every day - it's simply the biggest sustainable tourism Linkedin
      group.

      And if you're a Destination Organisation or a destination supplier why not
      join our new linkedin group 'A Vision for Sustainable Tourism Destinations'

      Join our discussion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/totemtourismnews

      Join our conversation on Twitter: @TotemTourism

      All the very best
      Valere

      Ps check out http://www.totemtourism.com - it's a mine of sustainable
      tourism info -offers - video interviews and more

      Valere Tjolle ­ Principal
      TOTEMTOURISM: TOURISMVISION
      Publishers of the annual Sustainable Tourism Report Suite
      Eagle House: Batheaston: BA1 7EH: UK
      T: +44 (0)1225 859388
      M: +44 7710 173005
      E: valere@...