6361Editors sustainable tourism must reads: ROAD TO GREENWASH PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

  • Valere Tjolle
    Feb 19, 2014
      Hello Green Travel Groupies

      FIRST A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: As you may know, I've just published the 11th
      annual (can you believe it) Sustainable Tourism Report. It's massive in all
      respects of the word. See http://bit.ly/1fbDLRl and http://bit.ly/NA0tHM.
      It's currently on offer at £150 - but I would really like reviews. So I'm
      offering a limited number at a ridiculously low price of £50 to Green Travel
      Group members if you will agree to write a 50 word review within 14 days.
      Obviously I can't afford to make this offer for ever - so you'll need to
      contact me asap: valere@... and make the reduced-rate purchase
      by 26 February.

      A glimpse of the BIG news - in Milan last week, I realised what a tourism
      opportunity Expo2015, a new prime minister (Renzi - Italy's own Tony Blair)
      and a tiny economic upsurge will make (let's say another 20million extra
      international tourists - let's hope it is sustainable (legacy?). And a
      phrase that will be in the news a lot 'Green Tourism Futures' brought to us
      via the GreenGlobe, Davos climate change, WTTC and UNWTO maestro G. Lipman.
      Plus $half a billion IHG gets from green - great!

      GREEN TOURISM FUTURES GAMECHANGE
      Sustainable tourism masterclass ­ Lipman to talk green:
      http://bit.ly/1jFHXYk

      THE TRAVEL AND TOURISM WORLD IS CHANGING SOURCE TO DESTINATION
      Report highlights massive global tourism changes: http://bit.ly/1fbDLRl

      GREEN TOURISM STARTS IN, AND BENEFITS COMMUNITIES
      VISTAS! at ITB: save the date more shortlisted green destinations announced:
      http://bit.ly/MywKOu

      THE GIRL ON THE BIKE ­ GREEN CHIC CYCLING OR CYCLING GREEN CHIC?
      Copenhagen @VisitCopenhagen @visitdenmark makes green pay again and again:
      http://bit.ly/1cYovSc

      IHG & OWNERS MAKE NEARLY A HALF $1BN A YEAR FROM GREEN
      IHG @IHG sustainability system accredited by LEED: http://bit.ly/1kVDhkA

      IS THIS GROSS ECOCIDE?
      Climber @ReinholdMessner @theGEF @WWF @wwwfoecouk supports Kazakh anti-ski
      resort petition : http://bit.ly/1oQUDzJ

      RENZI, EXPO2015, A TINY UPSURGE: PARADIGM SHIFT OR HICCOUGH?
      Expo2015 Milano @Expo2015Milano - a massive tourism opportunity for Italy:
      http://bit.ly/1jQbuSz

      BACK TO THE ROOTS: GRAND TOUR STYLE
      Silk road revitalising cultural tourism and focusing operators @UNWTO
      @UNWTO_Silk_Road: http://bit.ly/1fxNRqw

      THE BIGGEST TOURISM MARKET IN THE WORLD ­ ARE YOU THERE? ITB @ITB_Berlin:
      make the most of your investment: http://bit.ly/1kzOTcN

      That's it for today

      Comments, by the way always very, very, very welcome indeed.

      Why not also tell your friends about 'A Vision for Sustainable Tourism'
      group at Linkedin and join it? WE now have ***OVER 4,000!*** professional
      members and at least one new sustainable tourism/real tourism discussion
      every day.

      And if you're a DMO or a destination supplier why not join our new linkedin
      group 'A Vision for Sustainable Tourism Destinations'

      Like Facebook? Like us? http://www.facebook.com/totemtourismnews

      Tweet? @TotemTourism

      All the very best
      Valere

      Ps check out http://www.totemtourism.com - it's a mine of sustainable
      tourism info

      Valere Tjolle ­ Principal
      TOTEMTOURISM: TOURISMVISION
      Publishers of the annual Sustainable Tourism Report Suite
      Eagle House: Batheaston: BA1 7EH: UK
      T: +44 (0)1225 859388
      M: +44 7710 173005
      E: valere@...