Divine Liturgy Updates

  • Stan T
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2009
      Dear List:

      Nancy and I have finished our most recent update of the Plagal Fourth and Plagal First Divine Liturgy settings. We have corrected all of the ending cadences in the Second Tone hymns by following the melodic formulas in Papa Ephraim's formula book. We have corrected other formulas in most of the other hymns as well.

      We have not totally de-Sakellarized these liturgies, because a few of his original compositions, such as the Cherubic hymns, the consecration hymns, and "One is holy" have become the traditional melodies used in America and they are easily learned and chanted by lay choirs, but we have tried to tweak them where we could to bring them into closer formulaic correctness.

      If you are using one of these liturgies, please download the updated versions and replace your old ones. Your choir will need some rehearsing to get used to the new formulas.

      We have not yet updated the pew book versions of these liturgies, so you'll have to wait a bit for those. I will post a notice when they go up.

      I have also added a kind of "hybrid" Divine Liturgy made up of parts of our liturgy books. This liturgical setting was put together for use at the 2010 convention of the Mid-Eastern Federation of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians. (mefgox.org)

      All of these liturgies are set in side-by-side Greek and Modern English, with both Greek and transliterated Greek texts.

      You may see these liturgies by clicking on the first three Divine Liturgy links on newbyz.org, or you can click on the links below:

      http://newbyz.org/liturgy8choirmod.pdf

      http://newbyz.org/liturgy5choirmod.pdf

      http://newbyz.org/liturgy_multiple_choirmod.pdf