Your arrangements were a hit

  • manny9655
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear Stan and Nancy,

      Just a note to let you know that I used the the hymns that you
      published in the Oct. 2008 Byzantine Echo for our annual Christmas
      Candlelight Walk in Downtown Massillon, OH and they were apparently a
      big hit! This has become an annual event where people progressively
      visit all the participating downtown churches for a short
      presentation, so we performed your arrangements several times that
      evening. I just recently read the reply of the event coordinator and
      I thought I'd share with you the pertinent part of it:

      "...The music and singing were outstanding. It was wonderful that so
      many people were given the opportunity to hear the music and learn a
      little bit about your Faith and to see the awe-inspiring artwork in
      your church..."--from Gloria Miller, church coordinator.

      This was a great opportunity to share Orthodoxy with others and we
      intend to do it every year.

      Nice work, Nancy!

      Emanuel Creekus
      Choir Director
      St. George Greek Orthodox Church
      Massillon, OH
    • Stan T
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
        Thanks for the feedback, Manny. We always appreciate it. Nancy says
        thank you.

        Nancy says everyone who hears the simple chant seems to love it,
        except the Greeks, who want to "pretty it up" with harmonies and such.
        She's exaggerating, of course, but I have also noticed the reaction to
        this music from those outside of Orthodoxy. They usually find it very
        beautiful and spiritual. At my son's wedding, the ceremony was chanted
        by some of his buddies who are trained chanters. My next door
        neighbor, who had never been to an Orthodox service, said the chanting
        was what she loved best about the entire thing, and she was duly
        impressed with everything else, the icons, the service, the priests
        (they had four of them), and the wild, Greek reception.

        Stan

        --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "manny9655" <mcreekus@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Stan and Nancy,
        >
        > Just a note to let you know that I used the the hymns that you
        > published in the Oct. 2008 Byzantine Echo for our annual Christmas
        > Candlelight Walk in Downtown Massillon, OH and they were apparently a
        > big hit! This has become an annual event where people progressively
        > visit all the participating downtown churches for a short
        > presentation, so we performed your arrangements several times that
        > evening. I just recently read the reply of the event coordinator and
        > I thought I'd share with you the pertinent part of it:
        >
        > "...The music and singing were outstanding. It was wonderful that so
        > many people were given the opportunity to hear the music and learn a
        > little bit about your Faith and to see the awe-inspiring artwork in
        > your church..."--from Gloria Miller, church coordinator.
        >
        > This was a great opportunity to share Orthodoxy with others and we
        > intend to do it every year.
        >
        > Nice work, Nancy!
        >
        > Emanuel Creekus
        > Choir Director
        > St. George Greek Orthodox Church
        > Massillon, OH

      • manny9655
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
          Stan, I generally agree with Nancy. From one composer/arranger to
          another, I find the old adage "simplicity is beauty" to be true. As
          you may know, I am working (on and off) on a predominantly English
          Liturgy. My choir has already started singing parts of it. Some of
          it is in four part harmony but I have tried to write a lot of it in a
          more traditional style. For example, I set the "Axion Estin" in Tone
          1, melody and ison except for the last phrase, using the traditional
          melody in that tone with the necessary changes to easily accomodate an
          English text, and my choir likes it very much. With the last phrase
          "...truly the Theotokos, we magnify you", I split it into four parts
          but still kept the Byzantine ethos without destroying the mode.

          I for the most part have become against elaborate settings of the
          Liturgy that we have used a lot of times at our choir conventions. As
          anyone who has any knowledge of Orthodox music knows, it is the text
          that is the most important thing and the music is the vehicle for it,
          not vice-versa. Some of our composers just don't seem to understand
          this, and elaborate polyphonic settings are much more difficult for a
          choir with limited resources (like mine) to sing, plus, polyphony is
          NOT Orthodox. I saw an English arrangement of a Bulgarian version of
          "I Parthenos Simeron" based on Bortniansky that the Stark County
          Orthodox Churches (Canton, OH) were going to use at their Christmas
          concert (it was the same night as our Christmas Candlelight walk so my
          choir didn't participate), and it was HORRIBLE! I counted 12 phrase
          repetitions--12!! in the text and basically said that this is NOT how
          you arrange Orthodox music to an English text--the meaning gets lost!