Newbyz.org Update - Troparion of Kosmas and Damian

  • Stan T
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008
      I have uploaded the troparion of Kosmas and Damian in both Greek and
      English to our website.

      You may download it here:

      http://www.newbyz.org/kosmasdamiantrop.pdf

      Stan
    • Felipe Flores Morelos
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008

        Thanks Stan, as allways. Do you know if there exists some good book, or several,  in English  to learn how to chant byzantine music, with exercises and so on? Can you suggest something? We all are in Mexico reading European music, but need to learn byzantine by ourselves, we do not have anybody that teaches us. Thanks.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2008
          --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe Flores Morelos"
          <ffm@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Stan, as allways. Do you know if there exists some good book, or
          > several, in English to learn how to chant byzantine music, with
          exercises
          > and so on? Can you suggest something? We all are in Mexico reading
          European
          > music, but need to learn byzantine by ourselves, we do not have
          anybody that
          > teaches us. Thanks.

          Dear Felipe,

          Well, there is definitely a need for such a book. Nancy has a theory
          book in English by Fr. Savas Savas of Holy Cross Seminary, but it is
          long out of print. Perhaps I could make it available on the website
          some day. Fr. Seraphim also provided a packet at a workshop a few
          years ago. I'll look to see if that could be provided as well.

          Aside from the materials at

          http://www.newbyz.org

          and

          http://stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Index.html

          you can always browse through Ivan Moody's extensive list of music
          links at

          http://www.ivanmoody.co.uk/orthodoxliturgylinks.htm

          A good thing to do is memorize the automela. There is a set of mp3's
          of the melodies in Greek at this site:

          http://music.analogion.net/ArxeiaHxou/cd.htm#Automela

          And there is a booklet of the melodies in staff notation at this site:

          http://www.homb.org/prospdf/Prosomia%20Book%20Without%20Lyrics.pdf

          Stan
        • byzmusic
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2008
            --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe Flores Morelos" wrote:
            > Do you know if there exists some good book, or several, in English
            > to learn how to chant byzantine music, with exercises and so on?

            I recommend viewing the links I have collected at:
            http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Links.htm
            The links in the section "Learning Byzantine Music" will be especially
            helpful for you.
            +Fr. Ephraim