Re: Music from greek orthodox divine liturgy in mp3?

  • Dana Netherton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2005
      --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "dianakg2003"
      <kizzymail51@h...> wrote:

      > Dimitri, The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has a Learn to
      > Chant section on their website which has audio and download files in
      > Greek and English... there is also a link to their Learnt to chant
      > course which has audio files in Greek, English, male and Female, as
      > well as downloads in western notation...
      > check out www.goarch.org
      > and also: http://chant.hchc.edu, which has the audio and sheet
      > music I referenced.

      Alas, I hesitate to recommend this portion of the GOA site. All too
      often, in the examples, the written music does not match the music
      that is being sung (even taking into account the unwritten
      "embellishments" that are traditional in Byz chant). Such differences
      are bound to confuse students who are just beginning to learn the
      music and the notation.

      Also, all too often, the music being sung (as well as the written
      music) is from a non-standard edition, which is perhaps favored by the
      chanter but is not likely to be encountered outside his own venues.
      Also not the sort of thing you want to teach to beginners.

      As a technology-feasibility demo, the site is glorious. The
      computer/Internet technology they used is clearly capable of some very
      exciting things.

      But this particular set of examples ... it's not really Ready For
      Prime Time, as a site to recommend to beginners who want to Learn To
      Chant from a standing-start.

      IMHO, YMMV, and the rest of the usual disclaimers, of course.

      -- Dana Netherton