Re: Music from greek orthodox divine liturgy in mp3?

  • dianakg2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2005
      Dimitri, The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has Learn to
      Chant section on their website which has audio and download files in
      Greek and English... there is also a link to their Learnt to chant
      course which has audio files in Greek, English, male and Female, as
      well as downloads in western notation...
      check out www.goarch.org
      and also: http://chant.hchc.edu, which has the audio and sheet music
      I referenced.

      In XC, D.

      --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "Dimi Doukas"
      <dimidoukas@y...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know if there would be a good website somewhere having
      > songs in some downloadable formats. I would like to hear and learn
      > more about the songs that are sang in Greek (or Greek - english)
      > Orthodox service, since I'm living in a country (Finland) where our
      > musical history have had very much influences from Russian orthodox
      > church music, which is quite far from greek singing.
      >
      > Dimitri
    • Dana Netherton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2005
        --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "dianakg2003"
        <kizzymail51@h...> wrote:

        > Dimitri, The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has a Learn to
        > Chant section on their website which has audio and download files in
        > Greek and English... there is also a link to their Learnt to chant
        > course which has audio files in Greek, English, male and Female, as
        > well as downloads in western notation...
        > check out www.goarch.org
        > and also: http://chant.hchc.edu, which has the audio and sheet
        > music I referenced.

        Alas, I hesitate to recommend this portion of the GOA site. All too
        often, in the examples, the written music does not match the music
        that is being sung (even taking into account the unwritten
        "embellishments" that are traditional in Byz chant). Such differences
        are bound to confuse students who are just beginning to learn the
        music and the notation.

        Also, all too often, the music being sung (as well as the written
        music) is from a non-standard edition, which is perhaps favored by the
        chanter but is not likely to be encountered outside his own venues.
        Also not the sort of thing you want to teach to beginners.

        As a technology-feasibility demo, the site is glorious. The
        computer/Internet technology they used is clearly capable of some very
        exciting things.

        But this particular set of examples ... it's not really Ready For
        Prime Time, as a site to recommend to beginners who want to Learn To
        Chant from a standing-start.

        IMHO, YMMV, and the rest of the usual disclaimers, of course.

        -- Dana Netherton