Re: third mode doxologies

  • Tony Lutkus
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 11, 2005
      Dear Father Ephraim, I pray that your work and others can continue.

      I recently purchased the IERA IMNODIA as reference, of sorts. It
      did not take long to see how how much of the GOA parish music owes to
      Sakellaridis.

      A few years ago I presented Fr Seraphims third tone Doxology to our
      parish choir to review. They expressed great skepticism about it's
      authenticity, being so steeped in a simplified Sakallardis-inspired
      version they use. Perhaps another day.

      And perhaps someone on this list can tell me - is IERA IMNODIA is
      currently used at Holy Cross?

      In Christ,

      Tony

      --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "Father Ephraim"
      <frephraim@f...> wrote:
      > Dear Tony,
      >
      > Thank you for your kind words of support.
      >
      > Your comment about other doxologies written in third mode aroused my
      > curiosity, and so I followed your advice and compared them. Nancy's
      > version is available online, and can be downloaded for free from:
      > http://www.geocities.com/takistan/doxology3.zip
      > I don't think Fr. Seraphim's version is available online, but it can
      be
      > ordered from his monastery at:
      > http://sgpm.goarch.org/Monastery/index.php?p=31
      >
      > I immediately noticed that the versions by Fr. Seraphim and me
      follow
      > the style of music found in the Anastasimatarion (that has the
      > doxologies composed by Manuel the Protopsaltis, d. 1819), whereas
      > Nancy's version follows the style of music and the melodic lines
      found
      > in Sakellaridis' book "Iera Ymnodia". I believe that all three of us
      > were successful in imitating the prototype we chose to follow. But
      if
      > one compares Sakellaridis' music with other publications of
      Byzantine
      > music before him, one can't help but notice that he created his own
      > melodic lines that bear little resemblance to the corpus of melodic
      > formulae previously in existence. His frequent use of medial
      cadences on
      > Ga and Nee is highly unusual for third mode. And even the formulae
      he
      > uses to reach his medial and final cadences are not to be found in
      any
      > other piece of Byzantine music. Furthermore, his repeated use of
      placing
      > syllables on eighth notes adds a melodramatic effect to the entire
      piece
      > that does not exist in other mainstream compositions of Byzantine
      music.
      > I will pass over in silence his total disregard for the rules of
      > orthography, since I already raised that issue in this forum a few
      > months ago. As a result of all these innovations, the only thing
      about
      > his doxology that makes it sound like third mode is the scale he
      uses.

      > in Christ,
      > +Fr. Ephraim
      >
      > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 05:41:59 -0000, "Tony Lutkus" <cineutopia@y...>
      > said:
      > > Dear Stan, you're a passionate advocate for your wife Nancy's
      work.
      > > But you are a bit unfair to Fr Ephraim!
      > >
      > > His first response to your statement regarding polyphony was fair.

      > > You are hard pressed to refute him in a meaningful way since he
      has
      > > good authority backing him, no matter how many modern reasonings
      you
      > > produce. And this is not a fight between "East and West," or about
      > > excluding people from worship or prayer, or about "limiting God's
      > > Creation," or about some distasteful hellenocentrism. I hope those
      > > reading these posts will take notice that Fr Ephraim did not raise
      > > these groundless argumentative lines. They were yours. Strong
      > > reservations about polyphony in Orthodox ecclesiastical music can
      come
      > > from a humble submission to our Orthodox tradition.
      > >
      > > You then moved quickly to rhythmic and translation matters. You
      talk
      > > about "Pure Byzantine Chant servicing" the Greek and English
      > > languages. But what is this thing Pure Byzantine Chant? Did it
      EVER
      > > exist? And how does it "service" anything? Let's speak clearly.
      > > don't think Fr Ephraim is trying to create some byzantine musical
      > > utopia here on earth, (unlike some others, perhaps!). But again,
      this
      > > line of argument is yours, not Fr Ephraim's. The fact is that we
      > > live and pray now. This precludes us from creating anything that
      can
      > > be called Byzantine. Best we can do is honor our Orthodox musical
      > > traditions, taking advantage of the experience of other Orthodox
      > > people who have done similar work in their own lands and tongues,
      > > praying that we can learn from their example, and their errors.
      Being
      > > alive to tradition in this context does not mean simpleminded
      > > submission to some formulae in the name of idea about musical
      purity.

      > > I also add that your glosses regarding syllabic accenting and
      melodic
      > > line and interpration are so broad, you've reduced the topic to
      near
      > > meaninglessness (esp in the part about starting "Most Byzantine
      Hymns
      > > in Greek that I transcribe...). All this just to make your
      > > argumentative points that you prefer Nancy's work! Why not just
      say
      > > it, and leave it at that? And please remember, Fr Ephraim is not
      > > alone in his work. Your dissection of his work does not
      necessarily
      > > prove that his method and intent is misguided, just that his
      execution
      > > is not perfected.
      > >

      > > I've heard it said that the monastics are Orthodoxy's real
      > > evangelists. I believe the combination of monastic practice
      > > and musical talents that Fr Ephraim and Fr Seraphim bring to our
      > > country are a true blessing, little recognized. Perhaps they
      represent
      > > a kind of musical evangelism, first starting from within the
      Church.
      > > There is no doubt that their work is just the beginning, and that
      it
      > > is incomplete and imperfect. But it is there and they are doing
      lots
      > > it! And it's a tradition that is almost completely unknown in our
      > > churches. We've only seen glimmers of it in the parish musical
      > > practises we've inherited and cobbled for ourselves. I'm not
      surprised
      > > they are criticised from many corners - they are, in a strange
      way,
      > > the new on the block!
      > >
      > > If you (or anyone) is interested in comparing Nancy's and Fr
      Ephraim
      > > Doxology (III) with Fr Seraphim's version in tone III, just email
      me
      > > off the list. In case you don't read Byzantine notation, I've done
      > > schoolboy's job of translating the basic idea of it into Western
      > > Notation which can be used to guide you to learn the Byzantine
      > > Notation. It is a useful exercise to compare.
      > >
      > > And if anyone has other English versions that are traditionally
      > > inspired, please feel free to share.
      > >

      > > In Christ,
      > >
      > > Tony
      > >
      > > --- In greekorthodoxmusic@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Takis"
      <takistan@y...
      > > > wrote:
      > > > Dear Fr. Ephraim:
      > > >
      > > > Here's the problem. You write:

      > > don't see
      > > > problem...I honestly can't find
      > > in any
      > > syllables
      > > text.
      > > >
      > > > From my perspective, I saw numerous problems. I showed the works
      > > > Nancy and she found about three times as many as I did.
      Therefore, I
      > > > don't know if the discussion of these pieces will produce a
      fruitful
      > > > dialogue, because what is obviously a problem for me is no
      problem
      > > at
      > > > all for you.
      > > >
      > > > Nevertheless, I will point out just a few of "my" problems so
      you
      > > can
      > > > maybe see what I'm talking about. I don't expect you to agree
      > > > necessarily because these are not earth-shattering problems,
      just
      > > > examples where the music is not serving the text the best way
      that
      > > it
      > > > can. Remember these are just a few among others.
      > > >
      > > > You place numerous two-note and three-note melodic accents on
      words
      > > or
      > > > syllables that do not need the added emphasis. For example, the
      > > words
      > > > "done," "mercy," "eagle's," and "Moses" in the Typica.
      > > >
      > > > There are several accents on the wrong syllables, such as
      > > "executeth"
      > > > in the Typica and "glorify" in the Doxology, or on the word
      "and" in
      > > > the Anaphora.
      > > >
      > > > Also there are times when you use the interval of a third when a
      > > > passing tone would be more appropriate for an unaccented
      syllable.
      > > > (Nancy pointed out that the beginning phrase of the 7th and 8th
      > > verses
      > > > of the Typica contains a broken triad, something she says never
      > > occurs
      > > > in Byzantine chant.)
      > > >
      > > > Also, I feel there are some words that should not descend below
      the
      > > > ison like "mercy" and "over."
      > > >
      > > > There's more, but I will stop here. I just wanted you to get the
      > > idea
      > > > of the kinds of problems I have. Not that these are really bad.
      They
      > > > aren't. They just could be better, to give the English a more
      > > > English-like flow. I should have Nancy write out her Typica and
      send
      > > > it to you so you can make similar criticisms.
      > > >
      > > > Please forgive me of these. I really don't want to be critical
      or
      > > > judgmental.

      > > sound
      > > pretend
      > > sound
      > > very
      > > >
      > > > Sure. I've been directing choirs for 33 years. I think I didn't
      make
      > > > my point clear. When you try to fit "Lord" into a melody made
      for
      > > > "Kyrie" you create unnecessary problems you wouldn't have if you
      did
      > > > it differently. Since there is a problem with R, why exacerbate
      it?

      > > form of
      > > all
      > > inappropriate
      > > troparia
      > > metal,
      > > >
      > > > ALL forms? The ones you mentioned are not the only forms of
      American
      > > > music. There are many spirituals and simple American folk tunes,
      for
      > > > example, that are quite prayerful. And we're speaking about the
      > > > English language, really, so there are quite a bit of British
      idioms
      > > > as well that employ the English language in music quite
      effectively
      > > > and appropriately.
      > > >
      > > > As I said, and I repeat because this message doesn't seem to be
      > > > getting through, using Byzantine scales and isons gives English
      the
      > > > Orthodox "ethos," and I think we should use them. It's the
      treatment
      > > > of accented syllables that has to be different, but the SIMPLE
      > > > diatonic (heirmological) melodic and harmonic patterns do come
      > > through
      > > > in English, because of the scales and drones. But since the
      rhythmic
      > > > treatment is different, you can't call it "Byzantine chant."
      It's
      > > more
      > > > like "English chant influenced by the Byzantine." That can be
      done
      > > and
      > > > is all over our website.
      > > >

      > > > Stan
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Father Ephraim
      > frephraim@f...
    • dananetherton
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 12, 2005
        <takistan@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Dana and Fr. Ephraim:
        >
        > Dana, don't worry too much. I'm mostly just wondering right now.
        > This is really from my conversations with Georgios. <snip>

        I think I understand. It can be hard to talk with one group of
        people while one is checking his back, on the lookout for someone
        else!

        As I mentioned earlier, I think that *in the long run* Orthodox chant
        here will simply be called "American Chant", in the way that we speak
        of "Romanian Chant" or "Antiochian Chant" (which are heavily
        influenced by Byzantine Chant). In that setting, Georgios's "pure"
        terminology will probably work well.

        However, in the present day, we in the GOA must (IMHO) make
        distinctions between what our "chanting" composers make, and what
        our "harmonizing" composers make ... if only so that we can give the
        faithful a simple explanation if they happen to notice the
        different "sounds" of these two kinds of compositions.

        Also, we in the GOA must (IMHO) make distinctions between what our
        GOA composers make, and what other Orthodox composers in the US make
        (in the OCA, in the Antiochian Archdiocese, and in the many other
        jurisdictions here).

        For one thing, in the OCA and other jurisdictions that use Russian-
        style music, they are using "harmonizing" music in a different spirit
        than we use "harmonizing" music in the GOA. In the GOA, it's a
        recent break from tradition and is seen only in the U.S. In the OCA
        and elsewhere, the break occurred several centuries ago (in the late
        1600s), and the resulting music was brought *to* this country from
        the Old Country by the faithful in those jurisdictions.

        As a result (I think) of that history in those jurisdictions, when I
        follow mailing lists like OrthoPSALMS, whose members are *much* more
        likely to be from OCA-type jurisdictions, the posts from people who
        want to reverse their Church's use of "harmonizing" compositions come
        almost entirely from the GOA. I've only seen two or three people
        there who have been exploring or trying to revive the use of pre-
        harmonizing chant in that musical tradition ... and, come to think of
        it, one of them is an Old Believer whose Church never abandoned that
        form of chant.

        Which of course was one reason why you needed to start *this* list:
        because the discussions among us GOA folks were bewildering the non-
        GOA folks!

        So (IMHO) we need to be able to speak of the "traditional"
        harmonizing in the OCA etc, and the "untraditional" harmonizing in
        the GOA. Which means that we need a name for a "traditional" musical
        approach, in English, in the GOA. Georgios doesn't need such a name,
        but then he's not in the GOA any more.

        > Also, I know it doesn't seem like it, but I have praised Frs.
        > Seraphim and Ephraim's English work, among others, including
        > Jessica and David Melling. <snip>

        Glad to hear it, and thanks to our face-to-face conversation a few
        months ago I am glad to be able to say that I believe you!

        All that I'm doing *here* is to offer some feedback on your
        effectiveness in getting that across *here*: your good opinion of
        them isn't always as evident to Folks Out Here as it might feel
        like. :-) And, alas, the perception of Folks Out Here about that
        could color their readiness to respond favorably to suggestions.

        Yours in Christ,

        Dana Netherton