Re: [greekorthodoxmusic] Re: belief & tithing

  • Justin Bates
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
      Photini,

      You raise interesting points. I guess the question is
      (and I apologize if I've stated this in an earlier
      post), how do you convince people of the importance of
      something? Particularly, if it means parting them
      from their money???

      It is kind of like regular church attendance. I
      believe, and I although I'm a convert I do think I'm
      correct on this point, that regular liturgical
      participation is an essential part of Orthodoxy.
      Isn't it one of the Sacraments or Mysteries (I've
      forgotten the difference in usage for those terms)?

      And yet you have Orthodox that only show up to the
      liturgy for the major feast days like Christmas or
      Pascha. How do you convince those people that coming
      to church regularly is good and important and
      NECESSARY for their spiritual growth. Obviously, they
      believe they are fine without it.

      Similarly, any sense of monetary obligation is lost on
      many parishoners. I know that this is not strictly an
      Orthodox issue. I know from personal experience and
      from friends that these issues occur in Southern
      Baptist churches and in Roman Catholic parishes.

      In fact, I know of one Roman Catholic parish that was
      having trouble meeting its financial needs. So, after
      one Sunday morning mass, the parish's financial
      officers publicly announced the year-to-date
      contributions of each family and parishoner!

      Needless to say, a whole lot of people were
      embarrassed and it created a lot of controversy.

      Throwing in a dollar every Sunday, while certainly a
      good thing, doesn't really help the church meet its
      financial commitments. I type this with some guilt
      because I've never tithed successfully and even now
      I've not paid as much in stewardship as I should this
      year (I'm kinda having some personal financial
      difficulties).

      Anyway, good to hear from another member of the group.
      I hope all is well with the rest of you.

      God bless you all,

      Justin "Chrysostomos" Bates